Michigan Reefers banner
1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  slapshot 
#1 ·
I have just started battling cyno for the first time in my 95 gallon about a month ago. The first battle I did the red slime remover treatment and it worked ok, then about a week later it set in again and fast. So I treated the red slime remover again except I added twenty four hours on to the treatment time from 48-72 before my water change and this time it worked great. The tank looked great with very minimal tooth brushing. Like the chemical actually ate it away. This was three days ago and I hardly see any patches, however I know how fast it can come back again in full. I'm wondering what you guys think may be the cause. My only guess is maybe more frequent sock changes, my fiance was using flake food when I wasn't around so I put a stop to that, possibly increase flow (only currently have two hydor 1050s).

My water changes are on time a little over ten percent weekly. I change the media on my reactors accordingly. My skimmer has been pulling well.

Any ideas for improvement are appreciated.

#2 ·
Are you checking the TDS of the water you're using? There are a lot of reasons you can have cyano, but you're nutrients are too high. Over feeding, too much of bio load and not enough % on your wc. Are you running bio pellots, dosing vodka etc? Flow should help, maybe do larger water changes too. If you don't find the cause, it comes right back as you know.

With that said, my RO unit went out and I went a few months using just my well water (TDS of 176). It's not bad water but I do get rust stains etc, just your typical good well water if that makes sense. My 60g isn't set up properly, no sump, hob skimmer. When I started using the well water (mostly lps tank) all my cyano went away. I can't explain it but ill take it as I battled it for quite some time. My cube that is set up properly and mostly sps, well the cyano started to take over. I have since purchased a new rodi unit and after a couple 20% water changes in my cube, it has gone away again. No one can really tell me why my 60g isn't having the problems anymore but someone did say maybe my water was like using the miracle mud. I don't recommend using well water but it did work for me in one of my tanks...

#3 ·
Thanks for the input. My RODI water is coming out 0 may fluctuate a little when it gets in my jugs, I will probably clean them out this weekend. I just ordered two more powerheads. I am not running biopellets or dosing vodka, I am running phosgaurd and carbon in my dual reactor.

#6 ·
Sorry for the confusion, a Ca reactor is a calcium reactor.

Your profile says you have one.

As stated above try catching some of the effluent from your Calcium reactor and testing for Phosphates. There was a thread on reef central several years aog about some of the calcium reactor media having phosphates in it.

If your RI/DO is clean those phosphates have to be coming from somewhere.

#8 ·
battling cyno

I am still battling cyano for years, even I have 0 phosphate with hanna test kit. Chemiclean with 5 days no (LED) light does help but it will come back. GFO help a little. but still battling. Cyano is stick with your life, never give up. These is all about reef hobby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.