Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well My tank is almost done. I got my new MH lights and built my canopy finally. Here a little about the tank.

Main Display Tank 48" wide x 36" tall x 18" deep
135 Gallons
100 lbs of sand
150 lbs of rock (3 rock towers)
Pumps
4 - K4's (now not at time of photos) in tank pumps (closed loop)
Lighting
2 - 400 watt MH 15K bulbs
2 - Eletronic Ballest
1 - Coralife 28 watt fixture (all Actinac)
Corals
Bridsnest (Pink)
Brents Frag (forgot the name of it)
GSP
Frogspawn
Monti Cap (Red)
Purple Acro
Mushrooms (few different kinds)

Fish
1 - Powder Brown tang
1 - Sailfin Tang
2 - Chromis Damsel 2"
1 - Neon Goby
2 - Clowns (Fishtals)
2 - Fire Fish
Inverts
1 - Sand shifting star
Many - Snails
Many - Red and Blue leg hermits
1 - Brown Cucumber

Sump (25 Gallons)
Skimmer
Return Pump
Phosphate reactor

Refugium (25 Gallons)
Lighting
6500K bulb on Cheato
2 T5's - 24watt 65K 24"
Cheato Macro
Rock Rubble

Stand 5' wide x 8' tall x 2' deep
Stand was custom built by me out of plywood 4x4's and 2x4's.

Heres the pictures of the canopy, lights and tank.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kenobisann said:
I like the stacked pillared rocks, that is different, and looks good.
Thanks
I wanted to give the fish a ton of swimming room yet enough hidding spots and yet get hard to grow corals to the top of the tank. The tower concept took all these factors into my design. I pre drilled holes into all the rock in each tower so I could peg frag using hard airline tubing so I could put frags on the rock work where ever I wanted. Also the tank is only 18" deep (front to back) so the rocks going up allow me to keep them center allowing fish to swim all the way around them. The cool part is that the fish each take a level on the rocks and call it home (lol like little appartments). Also when my frags grow big enough it should connect the towers like bridges.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL I had to ask the wife today where my other pair of sunglass are because I could not feed the fish. I open the hood and it is so bright my eyes hurt and I wasn't even looking into the hood. Even with sun glasses on I can not look into the hood. Told her next time we go to the eye doctors and they give us those funny black glasses to where out I need to save them for the tank. I now keep the sunglasses by the tank in order to feed my fish.

·
Registered
937 Posts
d_link said:
LOL I had to ask the wife today where my other pair of sunglass are because I could not feed the fish. I open the hood and it is so bright my eyes hurt and I wasn't even looking into the hood. Even with sun glasses on I can not look into the hood. Told her next time we go to the eye doctors and they give us those funny black glasses to where out I need to save them for the tank. I now keep the sunglasses by the tank in order to feed my fish.
now that is funny -cool

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way the pictures where taken with the EVP setting on the lowest setting thats the only way you could even get close to seeing anything in the canopy with the lights on.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks even better with the back glass clean. I just bought some turbo snails and a Blenny and within like 2 days almost all the back glass is clean. I could never get my magnet back there to clean it so I always had to clean it from inside the tank and that was a pain in the butt. Now it looks like I will never have to clean the glass, how sweet it is. I will have to get pictures of it cleaned up.

G

·
cool I might have to come over and see it again soon I am finaly getting a sump setup on my tank now that it is upgraded to a 75 plus I just aquired some mh lights for my tank but need to get some good bulbs for it it is 175 w x2 but also need some reflectors for it

·
Registered
285 Posts
Are those the ballasts for the halides in your hood? May I suggest maybe putting them up higher like on those floor joists. Those produce alot of heat, hide them up in the ceiling somehow if the wires are long enough. :D

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jeffrey750 said:
Are those the ballasts for the halides in your hood? May I suggest maybe putting them up higher like on those floor joists. Those produce alot of heat, hide them up in the ceiling somehow if the wires are long enough. :D
Yes those are the ballast in the middle in the hood. I designed this whole setup before I knew what lights I would get, MH or T5 so I planed for either. I designed the tank so the back was about 5 inches away from the wall and the right is almost a foot away. The hood is mounted to the walls and not the tank so it is like free floating and has about an inch of clearance on the left side and the front and the 5 inches in the back and a foot on the right so the hood does not touch the tank at all. The lights are mounted about a foot away from the top of the tank and hooks directly to the green board drywall above it not to open rafters like the rest of the basement ceiling shows in the pictures (I have not dry walled the rest of the ceiling yet, you can even see the 80 sheets in one of the photos). There is a heating duct on the right side above the tank that goes to the family room and there is an opening in the ceilings drywall about 6" x 4" long to allow air to come down from the rafters (it's the opening that I cut to fit the drywall around the heating duct). I also get cold air from the back of the house where they normally shove insulation in between the rafters and the foundation so that helps keep it cool. The ballast is electronic not magnetic and have cooling fans built into them that blow up toward the ceiling so it moves the hot air around. I'm surprised at how well this works as the whole thing does not get hot. I can even put my hand directly on the ballast without getting burnt. I also can stick my hand right up to the ceiling and its warm and cozy not HOT.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I have not updated my tank pictures in a while so heres a new update. I had a big crash when I went on vacation in June of 2009 and lost everything due to a circuit breaker tripping. So I had to start all over and thanks to some great reffer friends they got me up and running. Well today I spent my $100 christmas money at Moby Dicks on some new fish. So heres some pics of the tank and the fish (by the way the clowns are Fishtals that he sells to Moby Dicks they are super orange).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts