Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 32 watt pc 50/50 light.... It is a huge improvment from my 13 watt. I was wondering what the actinic does. I mean I thought actinic was for night time but it is mixed with my 10000K daylight, the 50/50 PC, so it wouldn't be smart to have it at night. Does the actinic just recover the light spectrum that is not covered by the daylight.

Please help
Bryant

P.S. If you have a good link to lighting that is not overwhelming to understand please tell me.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Yes. In a natural reef at depth the water is a blue color. Your light is trying to replicate that. The actinic portion corrects the more yellow color of the day bulb. This gives off a more natural blue/white tone. The actinic also serves to "pop" color out of flourescent pigments in corals and fish.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Also, most people dont realize that actinic will grow certain algaes very well. IMO, I wouldn't recommend that you run actinic all night for that reason. The dusk/dawn people run actinics is awesome looking, and not prolonged periods. LED's are efficient moonlights to run all night long, and they wont grow algae like actinics.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm thanks for the info so quick. Well I can't use it for night because it is a 50/50 light so both would have to be on and that isn't any good. So I should get a led moonlight thing, are they expensive?

thanks
the noob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts