Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me if my birds nest is pretty much all white does that mean it is dead? I bought at the Lansing swap. The clowns kept throwing it around and the engineer kept pushing it off rocks. Just couldnt find it a good spot. Did it need alot of high light? I have halides on for 4-5 hrs a day. What about feeding it? Was it a filter feeder? I tried to shot food at it but it didn't really stick. I want to get another one later on and don't want to kill it. Thanks for any advice!!

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
SPS corals are the most demanding. All of those questions should have been answered before purchasing it because they are so unforgiving, so its good that you want to fins out before getting another one. Lots of things could have caused it. Too much light can bleach it - does it still have polyps? If so, you may have had it too high too fast. Getting knocked over could do it to - did you epoxy it to the rocks?

You do not have to feed sps - but you can - they do not eat normal fish food, not sure what you tried to feed it.

What are your EXACT water parameters? (Not they're all good)
How did you acclimate it?
Are you dosing for calciuma nd alkalinity?

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts

Post a pic of your Nest.

Also please post your water parmaters.

What I have found with my birds nest is that it needs time to acclimate to the lighting or change of. Mine was happy under T5's then I changed the bulbs then it bleached out. I lowered it and it made a come back.

If it is White move it to the bottom of the tank and see if the colors improve subsequently move it up. Mine do well in the low middle with LEDS. Furthermore water parmaters play a critical role with this type of coral.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts