Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having major micro bubble problems, I am positive its my "sump" which is just a plain, bare 10g tank. I need one no bigger than 22x20x18 and no smaller than 20x14x14 if anyone has anything close please let me know ASAP. If I dont find one by this weekend I'm tryin my hand at acrylic crafting and gonna make a custom one. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Why not buy another 10 Gal and put some baffles in it? the grand cost of mine was about $25 Including the new 10 gal tank.

If you want to come down this way, we can make a how to video and I can help you build one.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
This shows my partitions better, I made them really close together to save space and make the flow faster between them. Plus stops hermits from getting stuck in return pump, if you keep any in the sump/refugium BTW, make sure to have enough space for your skimmer in the water entry area. Putting it in that area reduces micro bubbles a lot. You do not need to have the racks or LR in your sump/refugium.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Sweet

Johnos said:
This shows my partitions better, I made them really close together to save space and make the flow faster between them. Plus stops hermits from getting stuck in return pump, if you keep any in the sump/refugium BTW, make sure to have enough space for your skimmer in the water entry area. Putting it in that area reduces micro bubbles a lot. You do not need to have the racks or LR in your sump/refugium.

That is a beauty! What measurements do you have everything at? What size is the glass cut at and where do you get it? Is that a Seaclone 100? Very nice! I wish I lived closer. I'd like to build one!

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem is my skimmer is an IN SUMP only one. Its a euroreef rs135 with a footprint of 10x11 ontop of that my return pump is 5" wide so theres 15" gone right there. With baffles 1" spaced for the flow rate that puts me at 17" with barely 3" left for the return from the tank. Another problem I have with the 10g is if I lose power, regardless of the siphon break being right at the top i will overflow in the sump by about 1-2 gallons.....I'm in a crappy spot at the moment! lol

·
Registered
477 Posts
Do you have room under there for two ten gallon tanks? Maybe you could plumb them together to give you more room for a skimmer and refuge plus added volume for water incase of power failure? I dunno just an idea.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont unfortunetly, I may end up using my 5.5g and plumb that in, i might be able to work that out. Have my return feed into that and then down into the 10g, through the skimmer, through the baffles and hit the pump. May work, just have to get my 5.5g drilled....bleh still, cheaper than a new sump! :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sump

I did the same thing with a 20 gallon long. Just added some baffles and used some egg crate on the bottom. Works great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts