Michigan Reefers banner

who uses a digital controller?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into getting a Digital aquatic reef keeper lite or elite, or something similar.

Wondering what are the benefits to the elite vs. lite?

Anyone else like a different brand more? and why?

Also, I want to be able to control it with my smart phone... so anyone know what the base model I would need to do this with?

Any info would be appreciated. just fyi really looking to control my lights, and add a salinity, and ph probe, but would like to be able to add more stuff down the road if I need be.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Wow, I was literally JUST reading about these units. I am also interested so I will stay tuned. FYI, there is a rather lengthy thread about controllers somewhere...

·
Registered
535 Posts
With the RKL you can only link up to 4 modules. The RKE you can link up to 36 I believe. That's the biggest difference I seen. I have a RKL and have used up all my modules. In time I may upgrade. You can send in your RKL head unit and for $150 more you can upgrade to a RKE and problem solved.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Apex Jr basic version I can control from my iPhone. It has Internet built in. I love it! No display in the base model but who needs one when you can check it on your phone or any web browser. It comes with a 4 power outlet strip.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Apex Jr basic version I can control from my iPhone. It has Internet built in. I love it! No display in the base model but who needs one when you can check it on your phone or any web browser. It comes with a 4 power outlet strip.
I recently discovered that I could run the Apex this way and it makes it much easier and less expensive for upstart w/out the digital display.

I've been reading and reading about which controller is best - I really think that for what you have outlined, you should be fine with either. Out of the box net capability though, I believe you would want to look at the Apex products.

Seems so much like Ford vs. GM to me...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the RKL you can only link up to 4 modules. The RKE you can link up to 36 I believe. That's the biggest difference I seen. I have a RKL and have used up all my modules. In time I may upgrade. You can send in your RKL head unit and for $150 more you can upgrade to a RKE and problem solved.
Can't you add more with the expanders? I don't know if that would be cost effective, but just wondering If that was possible in time.

·
Registered
535 Posts
You can add up to four modules of what ever you like. You can add 4 PC4's. I have 3PC4s and a SL1. Or two PC4s, an SL1 and a net module. You can add any number in whatever configuration you want as long as you don't have more than 4. I'm going to be getting the RKE head unit as soon as I get funds up for it.

Some people that DA systems are hard to configure. I disagree. I have never had a controller of any sort other than a simple pH control on my FW planted tank that controls my CO2 regular. I plugged it into my computer via the SID and it's SO EASY. Especially with the BRS videos out there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I should also add that many forums have up polls to go through. I did tons of research before I bought my Apex. Look for those who've switched to an Apex and been unhappy compared to those who went to a RK from Apex and were unhappy. It's tough to find anybody unhappy with the Apex vs RK. It's not tough to find the opposite.

I had a couple of questions after I got my Apex and called them up a couple times and they were very helpful. Good customer service also in my experience.

~Fred

·
Registered
937 Posts
not sure if they still offer it but marine depot had an exclusive deal with DA for what they marketed as the "Marine depot exclusive DA lite package". Came with the head unit, PC4, SL1 and a PH probe. Basically a $50 dollars savings. if you where to buy the lite and add the probe and SL1 separably. This is the route I wish I would have went originally. All you need to do is add a aqua lifter and float sitch for another $30 and you have a ATO system with it. Pretty good value.

I don't think you can go wrong with the apex or rk

·
Registered
725 Posts
I will go with Apex (or apex jr actually) when I buy one, I don't really don't all the difference between the two or so other controllers but this one seemed easy to set up and diffidently want to be able to use my phone for it too also I'm don't know about the other ones but it has an ethernet port that can control led dimming on fixtures such as Apollo and probably others.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I currently have a ReefKeeper Elite, but will be trading up to an Apex. I have been waiting for the second release to the SL2 with salinity probe, so I can sell the whole unit without having to hold onto the single module and probes connected to it, to sell at a later date. I find it odd that a company cannot make a conductivity probe work. Personally I do not like the way they ship some of their sensors, like the ATO and the temp probe for the Elite, I think it looks gaudy that I either have to solder and heatshrink the wires or have butt splices in a factory direct piece of equipment. If I wanted that type of look I could DIY it myself.

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
Apex

I am not sure of the capabilities of the RKL but I have really done alot with the apex. More specifically:

Water sensor
Email alerting
Sound alerting
conditional programming If/Then logic
2 PH
1 Temp
ORP
Breakout box set/up for ATO and other open closed circuit
Feed mode
Measure Amps
Trend analysis graph support
VDM for pump and LED dimming
WXM that controls the Vortech MP40 wireleslly
Web interface
Ipod/android support
XML and RSS support
standard USB/ethernet support
Season table to sync lighting, moonlight, sunset, sunrise current etc with that of indo pacific.

And so much more

·
Super Moderator
1,740 Posts
I currently have a ReefKeeper Elite, but will be trading up to an Apex. I have been waiting for the second release to the SL2 with salinity probe, so I can sell the whole unit without having to hold onto the single module and probes connected to it, to sell at a later date. I find it odd that a company cannot make a conductivity probe work. Personally I do not like the way they ship some of their sensors, like the ATO and the temp probe for the Elite, I think it looks gaudy that I either have to solder and heatshrink the wires or have butt splices in a factory direct piece of equipment. If I wanted that type of look I could DIY it myself.
This is the whole reason I switched over. Had a pressure switch on the ro fail. Caused the salinity to drop to far and lost all corals. Now I get text/email alerts anything is off just a little. Also it was too difficult to program a feed mode and have the return and skimmer shut off. Now it's a piece of cake. I can control anything from my iPhone.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I should be getting an apex this week :) ill keep posted on how I like it..... And maybe some questions for those of you who have it!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Apex control, Cal reactor

Hi Guys ,
I am looking to get Apex for my system and I am wondering what is the latest version on market ? or there is only one .

Also I am looking for Cal reactoe for 250G system.
Which one is best for my setup ?

Thanks for your help. Phil.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, did you pick the Apex up? How do you like it? What are you controlling?
haha, yes I did get an apex, and I have yet to have the time to figure the thing out. Normally when I read plug and play, I assume it is going to be that simple........ yea no.......... I got it connected, but programming all of the stuff is not as simple as I would of hoped!!!! Im going to have to set aside a few hours one day to figure out the coding. When I get the chance to do that, I will let you know how it goes.

I am seriously considering if I really need the system though. I realized I would honestly only be controlling a heater, the probes, and a chiller...... maybe an auto top off if I get one. I think it might be a little too advanced for me.... I'm pretty sure I could control sea world with this thing!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts