Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a website that compares the functionality of several different reef controllers?

I know I have seen a website similar to this somewhere showing what functionality certain controllers had, their cost, accessories, etc

Also, what kind of functionality would you expect or like to see from a controller priced in the $150-$200 range?

What functions would you like to see in a reef controller that is not available in anything on the market today?

What functions do the controllers on the market today provide that are of no use to you and you could live without?

How many people would like to buy a reef controller priced in the $150-$200 range but just cant see spending any more than that? (and this is the reason you dont have one right now)

Would you be interested in a lower cost (~$100) system that was modular and customizable by purchasing software/hardware "modules".

How important would remote data viewing/control be to you (via internet connection)?

any other comments on digital controllers?

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you look on Reef Central under the sponsor forum for Digital Aquatics there is a thread there with some release info about the Reef Keeper Elite- it is not released yet but it has been said it will be under $600.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Are you trying or thinking of building one? I would like to help in any way i can if you are:)

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
better keep a eye on

Digital Aquatics they are the makers of the Reefkeeper 1 and Reefkeeper II they are going to be putting out a RKE Or Reefkeeper elite

here is a link of a post I made showing the released info they are very close to releasing the price though they have stated under $600 but this baby is loaded I also put a post to the full thread on RC they have stated that this baby will blow
the competitors out of the water.

http://michiganreefers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58135&highlight=rke

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kenbow19 said:
Are you trying or thinking of building one? I would like to help in any way i can if you are:)
Well, I am definitly going to build one for myself so doing a little research. I dont really know much about the controllers that are out there right now other than they seem way too pricey, for $600 that thing ought to do your laundry too! :D

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have looked at the standard available controllers and also think the price is lofty for the buck. I have been looking at whole house controllers. For a couple of more bucks you can control anything you want. Considering the Adicon Ocelot and like the ELK better..

What has stopped me so far is the connection to probes. I believe that a BNC connector wired to a input is all I will need but don't know positively. I need to make a call once some of my other projects are complete.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Bsbarton said:
What has stopped me so far is the connection to probes. I believe that a BNC connector wired to a input is all I will need but don't know positively. I need to make a call once some of my other projects are complete.
Reading pH/ORP probes is not hard. You would need some way to amplify the input from the probe. Most A/D converters won't reliably read the probe. The easiest way would be to use a pH/ORP transmitter and read the voltage on the 4-20ma loop. Transmitters can be had from eBay for ~$50, sometimes even less. Then it's just a matter of mapping the voltage to a particular pH/ORP value. Of course you can create your own amp circuit using something like an LMC6001.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts