Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tank has slimy brownish, stringy with bubbles in it.
not sure on spelling of algae, or how to get rid of it.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
You probably are talking about dinoflagelates. I have found siphoning off as much as possible increase the flow in the tank, run some phosphate remover and do a 3 day cycle with no light in the tank to work very well against this. After the 3 day no light cycle do a water change and reduce your photoperiod to 4 hours and increase one hour every other day until you get back to your normal photoperiod.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
BlackGrandPrix said:
You probably are talking about dinoflagelates. I have found siphoning off as much as possible increase the flow in the tank, run some phosphate remover and do a 3 day cycle with no light in the tank to work very well against this. After the 3 day no light cycle do a water change and reduce your photoperiod to 4 hours and increase one hour every other day until you get back to your normal photoperiod.
Chemicals are never a true solution to fixing anything.

Jayson knows his stuff ;)

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
I almost quit from dinoflagelates, they are NASTY! It took me a solid 2 months to get rid of it and I should've made a log of what I did to kill it. It was HORRIBLE.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I second ereefer..had it and it drove me crazy for about 2 months. Tried everything...big water changes, shortening photoperiod, lights off for 3 days. Ended up bleaching a lot of my sps. they have since come back. Turns out I had a tds meter that was junk and my filters needed changed in my ro/di. Once I changed them and did a wter change it went away. I also only have a 6 hr photoperiod now. Funny, I tested nitrates and PO4 and never got any readings. Maybe it was silicates or something else from the tapwater????

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I also had similar experiences as ereefer with these. It *****, bad, but eventually they will go away, I promise! I think its just a stage that many tanks have to go through to become more mature. What seemed to help speed up the process with me was reducing my photoperiod to 4 hours a day, doing a large water change weekly, reducing feedings, and siphoning off what I could daily.
Don't get discouraged, IT WILL GO AWAY EVENTUALLY!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i agree with Blackgrandprix on this one. but the only thing i did in addition to this was raise my alkalinity to 12 a few days before i siphoned and killed the lights. i kept it that high for a week total.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had similar issue and blacking out my tank for a few days fixed the issue. I covered the front of my tank with a towel and kept the lights off for I think four days. On the fith day turned the lights on for a couple hours and then increased them by an hour or two each day. It worked well. You just have to be carefull b/c some corals don't handle that very well. Any issues I had do to the lights being out paled in comparison to the issue the dyno's were causing my corals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts