Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know where i can find DIY plans for a denitrification filter? or at least where i could buy one, resin type or biological. thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
resin filter?

never heard of it for denitrification

I'd imagine you could DIY a pvc sulfur type in a couple hours though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually i was just looking at that. where can i get the sulfur media? other than that all i need is pvc, a dosing pump and some hose.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I don't know why you would buy a dosing pump for it if you're looking to DIY and save money.:confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
because they are cheap and reliable. and i know they flow 3 gph. what else would i use? I will save a lot of money either way, i have looked at the sulfur-nitrate reactors and they are like $250, PVC on is like 5 for pvc, 12 for dosing pump, and then the media. My question is why would anyone setup a plenum or otherwise natural denitrification filter when they could just build one of these? I found some media- http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=17445&cat=371&page=1- for pretty cheap one pack will do about 400L. kind of expensive, but godd for 12 months. From what i've been told its important to put the water through aragonite and then activated carbon in order to replenish calcium and remove wastes, does anybody know how true this is?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
bigt said:
because they are cheap and reliable. and i know they flow 3 gph. what else would i use? I will save a lot of money either way, i have looked at the sulfur-nitrate reactors and they are like $250, PVC on is like 5 for pvc, 12 for dosing pump, and then the media.
Let's do a recap here:

You know where you can get a dosing pump that flows 3 gallons per hour and costs 12 dollars?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to build one like his, just with pvc and an aqualifter pump. no need for a $30 reactor when i can use pvc, and no reason for a maxijet when i can use an aqualifter. you have to use a restrictor valve on the maxi to slow the flow so i might as well just use and aqualifter.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
How are you going to evenly disperse flow from the bottom up all the way around the cylinder?

I think by the time you're done you could have had a phosban reactor, which is also CLEAR, and functions the way it would need to.

You don't need a huge cylinder. I'd think a phosban reactor set up right would be good for a 200gal tank.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont know, its just experimental, i've already ordered the media(not deniballs but the sulfur media) I'm using 2.5" pvc with 2 end caps with one fitting in the center of each.I dont think water flow should be a big concern with this design because of the small dia. pvc. Ill let you know if it works, it takes a few weeks to get goin, ill be testing the tank water and the water exiting the filter as well as my normal nitrate monitoring to see how well its working, then i can adjust the flow as needed. I've been told that the water exiting the filter after its well established should be nitrate free.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
DIY nitrate reactor

I built a nitrate reactor with PVC, uniseals and old pump laying around. I used sulfur media & ARM. It has been up and running for a few weeks now and the output is Zero nitrates.

David

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am using aragonite and then carbon after the denitrification filter. The filter is gonna drain into my sump (the same place i drip kalk.) so i think my calcium levels should stay constant. The tests will tell the truth. I still think there has to be a reason these filters arent more popular, from what i've read they sound incredible almost too good to be true ya know. well thanks guys and ill be back with results once its established.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
novi tony said:
How are you going to evenly disperse flow from the bottom up all the way around the cylinder?

I think by the time you're done you could have had a phosban reactor, which is also CLEAR, and functions the way it would need to.

You don't need a huge cylinder. I'd think a phosban reactor set up right would be good for a 200gal tank.
if doing a 3 stage setup with denitrifier, reactor media and the carbon, that's at least $90 for 3 phosban reactors... whereas pvc with endcaps and cleanouts are a lot cheaper...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
For those of you that have built your own can you post pics and material you used and maybe before and after results. I am thinking of building one myself and wanted to get some planning ideas from some of you that built one already and where you purchased your material..

TO purchase one of these reactors are around $400+ so hopefully we can get some good plans and ideas to make an efficient one that works for much cheaper then that..

·
Registered
191 Posts
and how, id be interested in running one of these, maybe to the extent of even having the return from the system run into the h.o.b. protein skimmer, and the entry part be powered by the return pump off of the wet/dry....this would efficientlly help the filtration process along from one of those. anyhow, if anyone is willing to bild me one of them, let me know the price, id love to get my hands on one and would even pay half up front to show im trustable with having somone build one for me.....im not too hands on when it comes to that kind of stuff- if i built somthing like that it would prolly end up going into my neighbors sink everytime they turned it on lol.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Nitrate reactor

Here is my DIY nitrate reactor. The needle valve on top cost as much as the PVC. I used one gallon of sulfur media and then ARM to fill the remaining container. I used 3 inch PVC that was 24 inches long. the pump just accelerated the process. Eventually I will not even run it. I drilled and tapped a 1/4 npt thread in the bottom that you can't see. The pail is just to help stand it up right. This is a very slow process it will take several weeks to start working.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/harpo470/L1000028.jpg

David

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
A nitrate reactor functions like a calcium reactor.

You have one pump recirculating from the bottom up at a high rate.

You have another pump, gravity, or a dosing pump pushing/pulling new water in to replace the old water. You do this at a slower rate. Actually a drip, almost identical to how you would set up a calcium reactor.

I honestly don't see how you would get a good waterflow/turnover inside the chamber with either RO canisters or PVC. Plus you're gonna want to have it clear, and you're gonna want to have evenly dispersed flow from the bottom up all the way around the container. This isn't the kind of media you want dead spots in.

And another thing. PVC fittings, unions, uniseals, are not cheap these days. You can spend thirty bucks on pvc and fittings/valves very easily. And they aren't clear either. Dropping thirty bucks on a phosban reactor that is clear and is designed for this kind of flow seems like a no brainer to me. Toss on a couple 1/4'' bulkheads on the top, add a small maxijet, a aqualifter, and you're good to go. You could even run it on a gravity syphon from a higher body to a lower body.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The thread that was linked showed refillable DI cannisters being used. Refillable DI cannisters are upflow. But they're just as pricey as a Phosban reactor.

The main benefit I see with using those cannister are the Gusset fitting and small tubing that makes regulating to a trickle easier... the phosban reactor has 1/2" barbs and regulating flow on them to a trickle is trickier...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts