Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have enough flow? I have a 20gallon high and no power heads. Just a HOB 55gallon whisper filter that I put filter floss into both sides. I have had hair algae and cyanobacteria I am thinking it might be from a lack of flow. I was wondering what power head I should buy. Also should I put a marineland filter on it instead? How many GPH of flow should I get?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure i should get that one and not get two separate ones that are rated at half the gph at separate parts of the tank.

·
Registered
262 Posts
how much flow you need really depends on what you want to keep in the tank. More flow will help with the cyno as it tends to grow in more stagnet water. For a 20g with softies id say 20-30 times your tank volume an hour should be more than enough. so a 400-600 gph pump should be good. if you want to go for lps or sps you'll want even more. My tank is at about 100x an hour for sps.

As for the filter id really just get rid of it if you have live rock. the live rock should do most of your filtering. HOB fliters tend to just cause nitrate problems. I would look into a HOB skimmer tho that would be the best way to keep your water clear.

·
Registered
262 Posts
and yes 2 would be a good idea, if you place them at opposite ends of the tank pointing at each other you will get the more random flow that is always prefered

·
Registered
262 Posts
not too much money to spend and something good usually dont mix well with the saltwater hobby :p. I used some Aqueon pumps for quite awhile theyre pretty cheap and they work decent. It really depends on what you want to spend. Typically you get what you pay for so Id just buy the best pump you can afford.

Id go with something like the Hydor Koralia Nano Evolution 240 GPH and get a pair of them for $60 or so

If you can afford it get a vortech mp10 they do everything but a new one will run you about $250

If your on a budget also watch the selling fourms you might be able to pick up a nice used pump for cheap.

last if your looking at buying a new one Ive got a group buy started for bulk reef supply you could join in and get a few bucks off when you buy them.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
ok kool. Any suggestions on what type to get? I don't have too much money to spend but i want good powerheads.
Look through the classifieds - someone is always cleaning out the basement, closing down a tank, etc...

Don't get hung up on which one is better. In a 20 gallon tank you want small. Small used powerheads. Once you find a listing with powerheads, you should have a brand of pump, google it. You should find a listing on marine depot or premium aquatics or something that will list the different sizes and their output.

The smallest pumps shouldn't cost more than 5 bucks or so used.

·
Registered
620 Posts
+1 on ridding of the hob filter. if any at all, it should be an AC110 with a fuge mod... there are plenty of links on here as well as other sites on how... its easy and basically builds an algae scrubber for your tank.

and IMO, you have way way way too low of a flow. if you read the other thread on this forum (too much flow?) you can see why. it decreases dead spots, evening out your water conditions, and helps distribute nutrients to your polyps. i have a 10g nano at home and run a 425 koralia evo at one end of the tank, and the return from my fuge at the opposite (a maxijet400) for a total, after head loss, of about 600gph. this is enough for some sps, and most lps and softies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts