Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first ever tank. It's a 29G Biocube. I have 20lbs LR right now. I am going to get a cleanup crew tomorrow. My research has told me that crabs, snails, and shrimp - preferably Peppermint Shrimp.

Do I really need cleaner shrimp, or can I stick with crabs and snails? It seems like in such a small tank like my 29G, shrimp are long and have long tentacles, taking up some room that I want for fish, corals.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes for what your thinking the peppermint shrimp would be what your looking for. It's more of a scavenger then a cleaner shrimp. The Blood shrimp(also called fire shrimp) and the skunk cleaner shrimp actually clean the fish. They also do some scavenging and will eat what you put in the tank, but they're jobs are to clean stuff off your fish. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Shrimp scavenge for food but I wouldn't consider them to be apart of the "clean-up crew." Although they will help, they are far from necessary. You can stick with snails and crabs.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I never heard they are needed, but they can help clean up by scavanging extra food as mentioned, don't get them if you don't want them, but I like my pepermints, they are just as cool as the fish to watch, my g/f thinks they are just as cool as the fish too, and she was against my buying them when I said I was buying them...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't think you need on necessarily, but I will say I love my cleaner shrimp. He is very fun to watch especially at feeding time.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a 29g biocube. Although I dont count him as part of my cuc, my cleaner shrimp is the most enoyable thing I have ever put in my tank. I dont think I could ever have a tank without one anymore, thats how much i like having one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i would suggest getting one for you nano because they will eat aptaisia and in a nano they can get way out of control vary fast.
AD Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts