Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog decision

Hi all,
Just had to put my dog down Baily. He was a german shepard. I want to get another dog so my wife and I have been trying to decide which type to get. I like the a golden retriever. My wife is scared because they shed alot. I am looking for a super friendly loyal type dog. My shepard seemed to love us but didnt take to kindly to strangers. This was difficult because I couldnt bring him everywhere. I would like some suggestions with pics if possible. Others my wife likes Boxer and weinreimers. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I vote for a boxer. I have 2 white boxers and a french bulldog. The frenchbulldog is the best dog, he sleeps alot and doesn't require much exercise.
If you want a boxer go to midmichiganboxerrescue.com that is where we just adopted are other boxer from.

·
Registered
993 Posts
A golden shouldn't shed any worse than your shepard. My shepards always shed like mad. Labs, Boxers and weinreimers are all good dogs. Short hair that doesn't show up as much when they shed. I will see if I have some pics on the other computer, I have seven dogs at present. Honestly mixed/mutts seem to make the best dogs.

Ron

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
IMHO, if you want a loyal and loving dog, there is none better than a newfoundland or newfoundland mix.

my dad had a newfoundland austrailian shepard mix for 10 years or so, and that was the best friggin dog. kind of looked like a long-haired german shepard, but slightly shorter and slightly wider. if you pulled into the driveway, you would know exactly where my dad was. if the dog wasn't at the house, my dad was on the farm, and all you had to do was find the dog. if the dog was at the house, he was either in the house or gone. they are known for their loyalty and love for their owners.

now he has a burmese mountain dog/black lab mix (burmese mountain dogs are one of the breeds a newfie comes from) that i picked out for him. same EXACT thing :D they are the most loving, gentle, smart dogs IMO. this one is bigger than the first, about the size of a lab, but is more gentle than any 20 lb dog could be.

manerisms? you'd swear there was a person in that dogs head somewhere :D

just my opinion :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Im so sorry about the loss of Baily. It took us a year after putting out beagle down to decide to get another dog. I went to petfinder.com and found our new baby a beagle mix at the local shelter. I lined up all the shelters by open and close time and didnt make it past the first one. I agree with the above comments Goldens labs and shepards are great breeds. Beagles are great dogs too. Their only big problem is they follow there nose....right out of the yard.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Boxers are great family dogs very playful.They are the happiest when they are touching some part of you. Weinreimers are great hunting and bird dogs a little strong head but if you can get past that the make great family members.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone out there no anything about greatdanes. Or does anyone have a golden retriever. All those dog pics are awesome. I like the billy goat too.Dont think I will get that by the wife. Everyone seems to like the boxers I see. Decisions Decisions

·
Registered
534 Posts
we have a Bernese Mountain Dog and honestly that is one of the best dogs we have ever had..... she is awesome with kids and everyone to be honest with you.... great personalities and temperments... we actually show her also and is all around an awesome dog!!! would highly recommend to anyone looking for a fun, loving, friendly, loyal dog!!!!

Kahlua in her Stack (Her Dog Show Stance)

Close Up Of Kahlua

sorry the pics are so dark....

·
Registered
636 Posts
Another mutt vote here. Our mutt is the best dog on the face of the planet.

Seriously, though. I can't bring myself to pay lots of money for a fancy dog when there are so many animals out there that need to be rescued. (We would be looking for family companion, not show/breeding stock, kwim?)

I'd just follow your heart. It won't steer you wrong. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Saltysteele said:
IMHO, if you want a loyal and loving dog, there is none better than a newfoundland or newfoundland mix.

my dad had a newfoundland austrailian shepard mix for 10 years or so, and that was the best friggin dog. kind of looked like a long-haired german shepard, but slightly shorter and slightly wider. if you pulled into the driveway, you would know exactly where my dad was. if the dog wasn't at the house, my dad was on the farm, and all you had to do was find the dog. if the dog was at the house, he was either in the house or gone. they are known for their loyalty and love for their owners.

now he has a burmese mountain dog/black lab mix (burmese mountain dogs are one of the breeds a newfie comes from) that i picked out for him. same EXACT thing :D they are the most loving, gentle, smart dogs IMO. this one is bigger than the first, about the size of a lab, but is more gentle than any 20 lb dog could be.

manerisms? you'd swear there was a person in that dogs head somewhere :D

just my opinion :D
Newfoundlands are AWESOME.......we have had many Newfoundlands over the years.....gentle giants.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts

This is just my reccommendation based on you wanting a dog that doesn't shed much and the fact that you had and seem to like bigger/tougher dogs. Researching different breeds and their characteristics.

This should get you started if you decide to research rottweilers.

http://www.amrottclub.org/rottweilers.htm

I had a female for four years until she got hit by a car. I'll get another one as soon as I'm in a position to keep a dog again. They have short hair and only shed a small amount in spring and fall. They are smart and active dogs so make sure you keep them occupied. It'd be ideal to have someone watch the dog while you're gone or keep it in a "run"? or yard. They're fun. I took mine out to trails pretty much every day...especially in the winter. It could have been 2 degrees outside and I couldn't wait to take her out to the trails. She loved the snow and she could run without getting too hot...well, most of the time. She'd sometimes get real excited or chase deer and have to lay and roll around in the snow to cool back down.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Golden Retriever find a good breeder (I have recommendations if needed) and you will not be disappointed. We got our first in December and he is the best dog I have ever owned.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts