Michigan Reefers banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
My chesapake bay retriever is a great dog. All around coolest dog I've ever had. Only problem is he isn't very social. Only likes a couple of people.

Other than that, he is a riot, super loyal, and a ton of fun on the water.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Allright so I went to the breeder with my wife to see the swiis mountain. I have seen timid used about them a couple times. Upon arriving they have 4 dogs 1 male and 3 females. We went to the yard and they brought them out one at a time. The first female was let out and came running at us barking loudly wasnt very timid but was a little antimidating thought she was going to bite are heads off. He told her to chill she sniffed us and for the rest of the time just leaned on us and wanted to be pet. Then the male came out twice the size didnt bark at us but ran directly towards us and did a sniff or two. Then decided boring people and proceeded to wrestle with the female and lumber around playing. I didnt like the look of the female as much as the male. They did shed as you pet them. I really liked them but I think we will look at a couple others just because this is a 10 year decision. The things that were troubleing they said they arent the quickest pottie trainers it them 8 months to train the male. Big dog big mess for 8 months. The search continues but I think they made the short list even know they dont fit exactly the perfect model they were very loving.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Chessies are very loyal but like mentioned not always the most social with new things.

Aussies are great dogs but a little too high strung for my lifestyle.

Keep checking and glad to see you are not jumping in on any particular breed. Good luck, I am sure you will know the right breed/breeder when you find them. Ask for references and certifications and get copies of them.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
hey Zack

how about this everybody myself included is naming what works for them lol there favorite breed. what are you and your wife looking for. do you want outgoing or reserved. high medium or low energy? passive or guard dog? so on and so on I am sure we could name dog breeds for 6 months lol what did you love best about your previous dog? and I hate to ask what did you like least?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
My german shepard was a little to protective of me. You couldnt even approach me and he would be at attention an starting to either bark or whine from jelousy. We like larger dogs. I dont want to have to worry about any bad behavior towards people main thing. I travel sometimes so I would like one that you may think twice about entering my house but if you really know the dog you would laugh at people who are scared of it. I like labs but I guess being a yuppie Im looking for something less common. My dad has a black lab great dog. I would like a smart dog that is very trainable and likes to go for walks. The shedding thing doesnt seem to be as important to my wife who seemed to like the swissy. I loooked into Danes but it seems like it may be an insurance issue. I also even know they are great dogs would like to avoid wrats and pit bulls. Dont want to have to pry my dogs jaws off anything with a crowbar if he decides to turn on anything. Si Iguess Im looking for a big,friendly,smart,semi shorthaired dog. I am completly open minded towards the breed but have looked at the link you sent me and went from a - z with my wife and theres not too many we agree on. Hmmmm maybe I should be looking for a new wife. Kidding finaly got her trained.
The search continues hopefully stop into a couple other breeders tis weekend.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
zrack4 said:
Hmmmm maybe I should be looking for a new wife. Kidding
finaly got her trained.
Thats funny schit!

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
well

I hope she didn't read that if so (Duck) :victory: seriously think about the fostering. I hate to say it you sound like a possible goldendoodle or labradoodle owner I have met several people with them and most have been very happy it's a great idea in theroy. you take the great personality of a lab or a golden combine with smarts and non shedding of poodles and you have the perfect dog problem is science doesn't work that way it takes many generations breeding the best to the best to secure a breed. so in the mean time they are high priced mutts if you can get passed that they might be worth a look. there are so many excellent dogs out there right now in shelters one positive or negitive result of the current forecloser situations. :(

·
Registered
504 Posts
labman said:
I hope she didn't read that if so (Duck) :victory: seriously think about the fostering. I hate to say it you sound like a possible goldendoodle or labradoodle owner I have met several people with them and most have been very happy it's a great idea in theroy. you take the great personality of a lab or a golden combine with smarts and non shedding of poodles and you have the perfect dog problem is science doesn't work that way it takes many generations breeding the best to the best to secure a breed. so in the mean time they are high priced mutts if you can get passed that they might be worth a look. there are so many excellent dogs out there right now in shelters one positive or negitive result of the current forecloser situations. :(
This is too funny! I was going to suggest a labradoodle but all the lab owners I meet (hunting dog owners) about have a coronary when you mention them.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I won't get into the 'oodle' breeds other then if you decide on one of these research their breeders even more then you typically would any other. Tons of problems with these guys, because many people who have a lab or golden breed it to a poodle and charge alot.

The nicest of these I have seen were 4th generation imported I think from Australia, they were nice, healthy dogs.

Like labman said, figure out what you guys like and feel comfortable with. Everyone will tell you get this or that but when it comes down to it, you guys are the ones owning it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
tanglovers said:
I won't get into the 'oodle' breeds other then if you decide on one of these research their breeders even more then you typically would any other. Tons of problems with these guys, because many people who have a lab or golden breed it to a poodle and charge alot.

The nicest of these I have seen were 4th generation imported I think from Australia, they were nice, healthy dogs.

Like labman said, figure out what you guys like and feel comfortable with. Everyone will tell you get this or that but when it comes down to it, you guys are the ones owning it.
I will most definatly go with what fits best for us. I dont belong to any other site to discuss with people and being on this one the past couple years it seems like a pretty goo group. I see Deb and Labman helping people all the time when I have become a snob and rarley visit the noobies section. I look and see fish has ich Help and I go man how many times have I seen that when this group will always chime in to help out the new guy. If im going to trust peoples opinion this is the group I trust (even know i have never met them) thanks for the input just bought a book how to pick your dog. Not that I havnt been on every website out there but sometimes books are nicer. Anyway the quest continues and from someone who misses his old dog. Dont forget to pet your dog today. Our is that hug your kids....Oh well

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
zrack4 said:
I dont want to have to worry about any bad behavior towards people main thing. I travel sometimes so I would like one that you may think twice about entering my house but if you really know the dog you would laugh at people who are scared of it. I would like a smart dog that is very trainable and likes to go for walks.
Sounds like my Boxer:)
She is with me all the time, is very friendly and playful with kids/dogs. Her "best friend" is a shitzu and she's very gentle with her. Sounds terribly ferocious but is a total sweetie.
The FedEx driver is afraid of her, the UPS driver knows better. Loves to go anywhere with me-hates to be left at home. I started training her at 5 weeks old and she picked it up pretty fast. She's goofy but smart. She sheds but they dont have an undercoat so it's not too bad.
Fantastic companion for me being alone so much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I never had a Weimaraner but they are suppose to be great dogs.. Loyal and smart... That's going to be the next dog I'm going to buy.

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
My sister inlaw has had 2 Weimaraners. First one was psycho -would attack people and had to be put down, the second is just mean, but not nearly as bad as the first. I dont like them at all! Dont know if it was bad breeding or what.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Remingtion said:
I never had a Weimaraner but they are suppose to be great dogs.. Loyal and smart... That's going to be the next dog I'm going to buy.
straight from a breeder
Happy, loving cheerful, affectionate and very rambunctious. Intelligent, but can be highly opinionated and willful, therefore this breed should have firm, experienced training from the start. Quick to learn, but resistant to repetitive training. Reserved with strangers and sometimes combative with other dogs. Socialize them well at an early age. Protective on his own territory. Very brave and loyal, it has a strong prey instinct. Do not trust with small non-canine animals. This is definitely not a herding or farm dog. The Weimaraner needs to live indoors as a member of the family. He needs attention and companionship. If relegated to a kennel life or if left alone too much, he can become very destructive and restless. He is a natural protector. Weimaraners are often kind to children, but are not recommended for very young ones because they are energetic enough to accidentally knock a child down. Because this breed is so full of energy, the first thing they need to learn is sit, then praise only when sitting. This will prevent jumping in the future, as they are strong dogs and will knock over elderly or children by accident. This breed especially should not be hit to discipline, they become wary easily. Once they have a fear of someone/something, they look to avoid and training is all but impossible. They are so eager to please, and motivated by reward (food or praise) Once a trick is learned, the dog will leap to repeat for praise. Although they are often mistaken as dumb, because they have such focus, if the trick or owners request isn't their focus at the time, it will not occur! Spend a lot of time with short leash walk, next to you. If left to run ahead they will pull like a train. A loose prong collar, making sure the chain section is in the front, and only pull forward and down, with a quick release when walking. Do not use choke or prong to train, they become hopeless very quick and all is lost from this point. This breed likes to bark. Very hardy, with a good sense of smell, and a passionate worker, the Weimaraner can be used for all kinds of hunting. As they are prone to bloat, it is better to feed them two or three small meals a day rather than one large meal. They may also suffer from hip dyspepsia, but are in general a hardy breed of dog. Hip dysplasia has been reduced to only 8% through conscientious breeding. Prone to hypertropic osteodystrophy (too rapid growth) and tumors.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I read my new book with every darn dog in the world. If I go for the one that I think sounds best for us its a well German Sheppard. My wife has a bad taste for them since my last one I had for 10 years before I met her. lets just say he would let me be the alpha and faught her for Beta. Keep in mind this dog was poorley trained my mom rescued him at 1 1/2 and he had no socializtion at that point and I was 23 not exactly responsible. I have got the gloves on ready for a fight to see if I can at least get the.... Ill think about it. I may even hit below the belt and take her to see puppies at a breeder.
Havnt heard anything bad about a boxer so I kinda like them but my brother in law has one so you know cant have the exact dog...or can I

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
if you are willing

to put the effort in for training and of course the money a Shepard is a great dog diffently a shedder of course I would also take her to see a well trained adult like Wayne has this way she see's the cute side and the trained side. she needs to be involved in the training also if she wants to be the bata.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
aquanewbie said:
I want a bullmastiff sooooo bad! I say go for the bullmastiff!! :victory:
The kids found a guy in my backyard last night at around 2am. I just fell asleep and heard "the bark". They will bark at people walking by, but this was a deep growl. So, I jump out of bed, and grab the quick release leashes.... We did a check of the house, then went out side to walk the perimeter. The lead me right into the backyard, and cornered a suspicious looking fellow. I have never seen someone climb a wooden privacy fence so fast. Walk soft and carry 300+ lbs of dog. :)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Training is a must for any dog IMO. Our golden we got last December (at 8 weeks old) went through and passed basic and advanced obedience training and had his AKC Canine Good Citizen by about 5-6 months old (forget when his test date was). Now we are working on his field training and he is extremely intelligent, by far the easiest dog I have ever had to train. He has been socialized like crazy going to work with Wendi and doggy day care from the time he was 10 weeks old to 6 months two times a week. He got kicked out at 6 months because he is not yet neutered (policy at the day care). We will not be breeding with him just want him to fully develop before getting snipped.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts