Michigan Reefers banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
i got an english bulldog /terrior mix he is an 90lb baby around kids all of them in my neighborhood love him very gentle with small children sits right down and gives them kisses very well socialized great house dog /guard dog i ever had great with new people but will protect his mom( my fiance ) with his life if ever need be alerts me to any noise that not normal when im not home he lays on the couch guarding the front door

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
zrack4

I almost forgot my parents bought me a book as a Christmas gift a few years back the Ultimate guide to dog breeds pretty high end book i would never have bought myself. leather bound yada yada lol if you want to barrow it lmk Derek Hall is the Auther

·
Registered
732 Posts
You may want to consider a Rhodesian Ridgeback or Perhaps a female Bovier des Flanders. (best dogs we ever had) A male may be too aggressive.

AJ :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Well after stopping by several breeders and seeing all types of dogs we have decided on a dog. It wasnt really on the list at the beginning but I think it is the dog for us. That dog is a great dane. We actually went to several Great Dane breeders. WE wanted not to see the puppies but the parents. I must say also people into great danes dont just have one. Every one of them had at least 3. The thing we loved is this dog is Big but every one of the dogs we came across was a total lover. WE met some at the front door of peoples houses and they welcomed us and layed down on my feet while we were talking with the breeder. Very loving. The shere size is the most intimadating thing. I believe as my friends and family will be with him growing from a puppy when he gets full size 2yrs the size will not intimdate them. Now a newcomer as I was in all these homes at first will be intimidated thats a good thing. I can go out of town and not worry about my wife. In saying that bring on the bad or good news that you have on this dog. I always take the reefers viewpoint into consideration.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Congrats

Danes are great dogs that sheding thing though well there will be some lol. when I was doing Pet Therapy there werew a few Danes are funny they back down from the smallest dogs in a cute way of course. you think he should just swallow that toy poodle whole instead he acts like oh ok you are my boss.. people used get nervous cause the size of the fog while other patents loved it because they were just the right height when they were laying in the bed. now start looking for those food sales. :jester:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good Job!!!!!!

It is so fun looking at pups and trying to decide what to get. I have heard great things about Great Danes! Now here comes the fun poops, pees, chewing and barking! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
zrack4 said:
Well after stopping by several breeders and seeing all types of dogs we have decided on a dog. It wasnt really on the list at the beginning but I think it is the dog for us. That dog is a great dane. We actually went to several Great Dane breeders. WE wanted not to see the puppies but the parents. I must say also people into great danes dont just have one. Every one of them had at least 3. The thing we loved is this dog is Big but every one of the dogs we came across was a total lover. WE met some at the front door of peoples houses and they welcomed us and layed down on my feet while we were talking with the breeder. Very loving. The shere size is the most intimadating thing. I believe as my friends and family will be with him growing from a puppy when he gets full size 2yrs the size will not intimdate them. Now a newcomer as I was in all these homes at first will be intimidated thats a good thing. I can go out of town and not worry about my wife. In saying that bring on the bad or good news that you have on this dog. I always take the reefers viewpoint into consideration.
Are you going with one of the pups pictured or another litter? Will you be cropping the ears in the clasic style or leave them natural? (I like natural, as if I get a vote!!) Please, nobody needs to pile-on regarding the pros & cons, it is a personal decision of the dog owners.....the cropped ears of a Dane or Doberman look cool and are no different than what we do to ourselves with tattoos and body piercings....if you like that look, who cares.

I always thought if I had a Dane, I would leave the ears natural, but crop the tail like a Rottie......you'd understand if you're a guy and you've been around a happy Dane....I have been dropped like a bad habit more than once around a happy Dane. Being smacked between the legs with a Dane tail will take your breath away.LOL

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Dog decision

Wayne,
In our quest I called the german shepard referal you provided. My wife wouldnt go for it and Gayles I believe is her name is puppies are all spoken for. She does however have a 10 month female if anyone is looking. We are cropping the ears infact was just yelled at by my sister in law who works in a vet for doing so. She said it is cruel ( not to start a debate ). I will be fixing the dog also even know it has champion blood lines. I dont get the dog for a couple weeks. This will give me more time to syudy diet which in my reading is very important. And yes it is a fawn puppy looked at brindle but with the size being intimidationg enough we felt the fawn was less. If that makes sence.

·
Registered
711 Posts
zrack4 said:
Ah Gread Dane puppies... Soooo adorable... They've gotta be what... 1 day old?! lol They'll be HUGE dogs!! :3195:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
zrack4 said:
Wayne,
In our quest I called the german shepard referal you provided. My wife wouldnt go for it and Gayles I believe is her name is puppies are all spoken for. She does however have a 10 month female if anyone is looking. We are cropping the ears infact was just yelled at by my sister in law who works in a vet for doing so. She said it is cruel ( not to start a debate ). I will be fixing the dog also even know it has champion blood lines. I dont get the dog for a couple weeks. This will give me more time to syudy diet which in my reading is very important. And yes it is a fawn puppy looked at brindle but with the size being intimidationg enough we felt the fawn was less. If that makes sence.
As if it matters.....Fawn is my fav....I have never been a fan of brindle in any breed.

Goodluck, very cool dog even if it isn't a GSD!!!!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
My gf's parent's dog. They thought I should send this picture to Hallmark...

81 - 92 of 92 Posts