Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G

·
You can use peladow also...You just have to use 400 grams instead of 500 grams...You can find it at lowes, & GFS (Gorden food services)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
how do you add this stuff to your water?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dowflake was hard to find around here. I found out that the local concrete supply carried it. They use it in concrete when the weather is cold. You might want to check at your local concrete supply company.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
found some

Thanks guys, for the options,
I decided to stick with genuine dow flake and after a bit of calling around located some at FENDT building supply 3285 W liberty Ann arbor and
Ann Arbor Agricenter
4175 Whitmore lake Rd
I havent picked any up yet so I dont know if it is the U or earlier lot ( the low boron) or the V or later lot (high boron and a bit dicey)

G

·
there isn't anything different other then the amount off calcium chloride............ calcium chloride dihydrate which is DOW flake is 77-80% calcium chloride............anhydrous or monohydrate calcium chloride which would be DOW mini pellets, prestone driveway heat, or PELADOW is 90-92% Calcium chloride....Which is 20% more.....Randy states you can use ANY of them with the approiate amount of water....Both produce about 37,000 PPM calcium

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dow vs peladow

yes, I agree, the only thing that got me going on this is the boron scare. I dont know which peladow lot numbers correspond to the good stuff( last years), maybe it is the same U vs V as dowflakes or not.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmmmm. I thought Dowflake/Peladow were no longer usable for aquariums as Dow no longer extracts the bromide from these products.

--T

G

·
yes & no from what I have been reading....no proof on what it will do to our reef tanks....I have been using the new peladow for a year....nothings died or anything...It's not like this is something new...reefers have been using the new for a year or so....I still use it with frequent WC...from what I read reef crystals lacks bromide...& it is pretty abundant in sea water...65 PPM & reef crystals is 7.....at an addition of 100 PPM calcium it is 4 ppm bromide....with frequent WC & a MUCH less then 100 PPM calcium a day...I still use it....I also beleive Iodine is linked to bromide....like calcium is to alk....I will wait & see...........Randy said you could still use it....he just recommeneds not too......

·
Registered
261 Posts
Calcium bulk sources close to home

tfp1970 said:
Hmmmm. I thought Dowflake/Peladow were no longer usable for aquariums as Dow no longer extracts the bromide from these products.

--T
I have been poking around looking for a source other than the Dow products, and found two worth asking about...

I found Ice Warrior by BCA/Ashland Chemicals. The MSDS states it is 90-97% CaCl. Other ingredients listed include NaCl, KCl, Strontium and water. Bromide is not listed. The fellow at Ashland states there is nothing except what is listed on the MSDS. thr product is currently 25% off at ACO Hardware.

I also looked into the CaCl at my pool store. The Bioguard Balance Pak 300 CaCl MSDS from (year?) that the pool store has lists it as 97% CaCl and has no Bromide.

Any thoughts on its suitability of either of these for the Two-Part solution??

Mike

·
Registered
261 Posts
News Flash--

I found another non-Dow source that is >99% CaCl. This is food to reagent-grade stuff. Fritz Industries. It sells to industry, but has a specialty division. I am trying to locate an appropriate source for small volume sales through the company. I will keep you posted.

We can only hope!

Mike

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
For those who are seeking CaCl be aware that DOW checmical corp is the largest producer/extractor of CaCl pellets. Many other companies rely on DOW to supply them, and they just repackage it under their own trademark/logo. I think most of it actually originates from somewhere here in Michigan.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thats the thing thats such a drag.

Vivaborg said:
For those who are seeking CaCl be aware that DOW checmical corp is the largest producer/extractor of CaCl pellets. Many other companies rely on DOW to supply them, and they just repackage it under their own trademark/logo. I think most of it actually originates from somewhere here in Michigan.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Vivaborg said:
I think most of it actually originates from somewhere here in Michigan.
While I was poking around, I wondered about this--"Is there even anyone other than Dow making CaCl?". I found a site that describes world-wide production, consumption and sources. It lists Dow as the 900# gorilla in CaCl production, and a facility in western Michigan--Ludington, I think, as a very large source. There are other producers, however. China has a lot listed (Now there's a thought...how bad is lead contamination for a reef?)

I figure that either: a.)Those selling bulk chemicals to reefers are in the same boat as those who are doing it on their own and we can buy lower purity chemicals just like them, or, b.)they have already done the research and continue to sell high purity CaCl as advertised because they found a source, and we can too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts