Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about drilling live rock to insert pvc pipe/rods (or something else that would work) so I can make my live rock "stand" in the position I want. I want to do this because it allows me to do almost anything I want for aquascaping.

Has anyone else done this? If so how exactly does one go about doing this? Does anybody have pictures or a link to pictures of this being done? Any information on this topic would be great! Thanks

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
check out this Tank of the Month thread. Scroll about half way down it has some pics of this guys set up. i think it should help a little.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I have done it a couple times and seen it done before with acrylic rod. You can drill most live rock with a regular bit, but some of it might take masonry bits. Obviously be careful when using any power tools. Powertools do not mix well with water, especially ones you plug into the wall.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What "Tank of the Month thread" are you talking about?

mf2055, should I attach the rod going through the live rock to some type of base? What size bit have you used in the past?

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
mf2055 said:
I have done it a couple times and seen it done before with acrylic rod. You can drill most live rock with a regular bit, but some of it might take masonry bits. Obviously be careful when using any power tools. Powertools do not mix well with water, especially ones you plug into the wall.
Not to mention while drilling the rock, It can crack into pieces and then what?

I initially had mind to drill all my rock for the aquascape and use threaded nylon rods, washers and nuts.

After building the PVC support for the rockscape and trying to stack rock onto it - Try covering the PVC so you can't see it - It's a nightmare.

I was successful building the rockscape carefully without drilling, making small pieces of larger rocks and the frustration that goes along with it.

If a problem comes up, I would not have to pull out 17 pieces of rock drilled, glued or screwed together.

Speaking from my experiences - Good luck

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
If you spent 10 hours drilling your rockscape you had in mind.

All I can say,

It will never turn out....... Drill angles change, rock breaks, anger flares......

All that stuff !!!

I would recommend taking your time, select the best rock you have to build a solid foundation.

Then you can tweek out from there.

Im speaking from experience - look at all the extra $$$ and time I wasted building PVC platforms.

Then the time I took to try cover it.

Maybe you can do it - It was not my cup of rum....I mean tea....

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I have drilled and experienced everything Dent speaks of. It does work but it can be frustrating. I have used a normal drill bit and went slow. I have had better success with epoxy and finding the right rocks. I have epoxied rocks together and to the walls. Soon the epoxy looks just like the rock.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dentdominator, if it is as difficult as you say, it would end up being my 5th of vodka...:D I never thought it would be that difficult. My problem with aquascaping is finding rock that I like. I want to have my rock climb with open swimming room for the fish near the base of the tank. I want the top of my rockwork to have "shelves."

If anyone else has experience with this, please share.

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
Baboon48 said:
dentdominator, if it is as difficult as you say, it would end up being my 5th of vodka...:D I never thought it would be that difficult. My problem with aquascaping is finding rock that I like. I want to have my rock climb with open swimming room for the fish near the base of the tank. I want the top of my rockwork to have "shelves."

If anyone else has experience with this, please share.
Anything can be done with "TIME" and "Patience".............

Good luck, I hope you get the look you have in mind for your tank.

It becomes your signature.

Alex

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
the hole bits they sell for drilling through glass works great at drilling through rock also. you could drill through pieces that are less than an inch thick. then run pvc tube through them. but this would need to be done outside the tank. :rolleyes:
the 2 part epoxy will cure underwater. i have used it with no effects to the corals or fish.
post pictures as you go no matter what method you choose.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
I drilled all 250 lbs of rock in my tank and I used plastic coat hanger to peg them with it is possible live rock drills very easy just go slow, my rock structure is insane

·
Registered
394 Posts
I drilled all of my display rock. I originally started threading rock through 1/2" PVC, but that turned out to be to difficult w/o ruining all the rock (shatters the smaller chunks). I ended up going w/ 1/4" holes x 3 per rock and zip-ties to attach each rock to a odd shaped PVC skeleton. It took about 3 months for the rock to become covered w/ corraline so you could no longer see the zip ties. You can see photos of the entire construction in my member tanks thread.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts