Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for 100 lbs of sand and the same for rock. Looking for a deal for my first saltwater tank since I am on a tight budget.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey, I'm in Alma too and have a 5 gallon bucket full of dry rock I took out of my tank last year. One large rock and a few medium and smaller rocks. I can throw some rubble in from my display if you want something to seed your tank with.

Not sure on weight at the moment, can check when I get home.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be awesome! I used to live in Alma and I apparently need to update my profile. I am in Flushing now, but dont mind swinging up if you don't mind sharing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wont be able to call for a bit, but will give you a ring if your not to vusy.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry, Easter ended up being busier than I had expected and didn't get to it until this morning before work. But I realized I'd used most of the med/small rock on another project, but I have the one large rock, it was 26 lbs when I pulled it out of my tank, pictures are of this rock when it was still live. It barely fits into a 5 gallon bucket. Great rock, but It was just too big when I decided to re-scape and couldn't work it into the layout in a 34 gallon display.

I have another that I'd say is about the size and shape of a deflated football. Manmade rock that's flat on the bottom. Works very well for a base. I'd sell those two and a handful of rubble for $20.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would work. What's your schedule like today? I am in Lansing and was getting ready to head back to Flushing. Could swing up that way if you are free.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Just an fyi - but 100lbs of live rock won't fit in a 75 (if I remember correctly that's what you have). If you're looking for dry (which is significantly lighter) I'd go for around 50 pounds. Aquascape and see where you're at and then seed with a few live rocks.

I also would not reuse sand...by the time you washed it enough to remove all the crud it won't be worth it. Sand is cheap online...and shoot for one pound per gallon. You can save money by buying dry and skipping the live sand. Its packed in water which makes it a lot heavier so you're paying for water instead of sand, and a lot of the live stuff will be dead anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is good advice thank you. I wondered if there should be different measures for live vs dry rock. I ordered sand online last night so it's good to hear that was the right decision.

---------- Post added 04-23-2019 at 11:09 AM ----------

Thanks everyone I am all set.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That would work. What's your schedule like today? I am in Lansing and was getting ready to head back to Flushing. Could swing up that way if you are free.

So so sorry, just seeing this. If you'd like to text me, that would be easier/quicker to communicate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts