Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Due to failed heater ALL MY FISH HAVE ICH UGHHHHHHHH.

All my fish are covered in ich. Not having a QT tank to treat with copper I had no choice to treat with NO-ICH at a whopping 28.99 a bottle X 2.

The sad thing is I don't know if my fish are going to pull through because it came on so fast. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. $h1t like this wants to make me give up.

SORRY EVERYONE I HAD TO VENT

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ok I don't understand? What happened with the heater that gave all your fish Ich? Ich is a parasite, I don't know how you can blame a heater?

The best stretch I can think of is that the heater failed, and that stressed out your fish, which lowered their immune systems and the ability to fight off the parasite.

Ich is common in fish, and most healthy fish can get it and not die. Weak fish are the ones you need to worry about.

Without knowing your circumstances, or your fish, the best I can recommend is buying a clean tote big enough to house all your fish, then add a heater, and hang on back skimmer. Treat the fish as needed, and leave them alone. Just make sure their temp is good, they have plenty of oxygen in the water, and do water changes as needed.

Give it six weeks before putting the fish back in the tank. The parasites living in the tank should have past their gestational period and died off already.

I'm sorry that you are battling Ich, the best I can tell you is that it could be much worse. I watched amylodonium (spelling is probably wrong) rip through 20 fish years ago. That was a load of $$$ down the drain :( It came in on a emperor angle and I didn't catch it because it is black and so are the angels... I didn't do a separate quarantine and had them all together. by time I realized it, it was too late. All the fish were covered and dying left and right.

Fish can easily bounce back from Ich, you just need to give them a fighting chance. Time is of the essence here. If you don't have the money for a hob skimmer, just use a bubbler and an airstone to keep oxygen in the water. Totes are a lot cheaper than glass tanks, and better. Fish can't see out of them, and that helps reduce stress.

Best of luck, and keep us up to date...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the day that my heater went out they all got it so that is why i am blaming the heater, And if its not ich then i am not sure what else it could be. Some fish have spots here and there and others look like you tossed a bag of flour on them.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You probably do have Ick, brought on by the stress of the changing water temp. I agree with the above, if you quarantine your fish now, you have a good chance of saving them all, at least all you can catch. If you need any extra equipment, I am sure someone will help you out.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well woke up this morning and looked at the tank and seen the my Moorish Idle was dead and stuck to my overflow box...

" I know Moorish Idle in a reef " He never touched any coral, he was a great fish!

I want to start a QT tank but I don't have the water to do it because my current system has that NO-ICH in it. so i don't think i can use that water.

·
Registered
59 Posts
have you tried a freshwater bath on them? it sounds stupid but it works. i would catch all the fish in your tank fill up a bucket or tote with freshwater same temp and ph as the tank. leav em in it for 5- 10 minutes then put them in your sump /refugium so they are easy to catch for the next bath after 24 hours. usualy clears it up in one or 2 baths. buy putting them in your sump or refugium if you have a uv inline with your return pump it will kill whats left of the ich before it gets to your tank. i dont have a qtank either and thats how i treat em. i live in an apartment and dont really have the space for another tank, gotta do what you gotta do tho. hope it works out for ya.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I don't think it's ich. I've NEVER seen ich take out fish so fast unless they were already sick to begin with.

Also, i've always used organic ich treatment. Never had any side effects, and it's worked almost every single time i've used it. Reef and invert safe aswell.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I had a similar bout with ich that took out half of my fish rather swiftly, I kept a log of everything that happened on another reef site

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f184/my-ich-diary-daily-log-169604.html

Quarantining my fish ended up killing more than the ich did because of the ammonia spikes and unestablished biological filter. If I ever get ich again, I will NOT move my fish at all! I won't change anything in my tank whatsoever. No freshwater dips, no increase temps, absolutely nothing except soak their food in a selcon or other amino acid and vitamin supplement.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forgot to post yesterday morning that I lost a clown. And I did start a QT tank. I said heck with it and you 50% water from my tank 50% new saltwater. Then I added copper to the tank , UV. It must be working because my hippo tang was on his last leg before I put him in the QT although he still looks bad he is still alive.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hopefully everything works out for you and your animals. I do not have a QT tank set up, but I do keep the necessary equipment in case it is ever needed. This is a good practice and can save precious time when it is needed most.

best of luck

·
Registered
217 Posts
Beyond what Derek said initially which was spot on as usual (no pun intented), I would just say that many have moved beyond copper as a treatment (which is effective but can be difficult to control appropriate levels and other problems) to quinine based medication like quinine sulphate ( which is what Crypto Pro is ) or chloroquine phosphate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.