Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hopefully someone comes up with it. From what I have heard if it doesn't sell, they are just closing it up. I can't say that I don't understand, Adam and Nick are super busy with their lives, and their "day jobs" and families demand too much time to run a saltwater business.

I would love to see someone buy it, get out of the city, and set it up in a warehouse somewhere that will give them much more space, and far less overhead.

Time will tell :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Love that store. Far better selection of corals than VIPets and not as pushy.

While I could come up with the cash, the problem is the location. Zeeland / Holland just doesn't have the business, and reefing just isn't that big in GR.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't know blaster, There are a lot of us around... Most of us are forced to buy online because of the scarcity of good stores around.

I think Ecoreef is a good store, but their overhead isn't worth it. They do have nice stuff, but it can be a bit pricey (gotta cover overhead). If the new owner moved out of downtown Zeeland and somewhere closer to the highway I think their business would easily double if not quadruple!

I have been getting people from an hour plus away coming to buy just frags... A store with A LOT more to see and buy should easily attract customers from at least that far away.

Right now, EcoReef is our only local fish store, and their hours can make it tricky to visit them...

VIPets in Holland is a great pet store, but they have all but closed down their saltwater section. Rochesters Reef has new owners, and are still working on things over there...

Mothers Reef, and Bluefish are both such a long drive, and out of the way for most of us...

As I see it, I think someone could really do well if they were to buy EcoReef and move it to a more viable location. I hear their lease is up soon (This year some time) and so the move would be great timing.

Time will tell :victory:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
That is a nice price and I would probably make an offer if it wasn't a three hour drive. I agree, location is a big factor

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would say that easy access is more important than appearance. People don't care if its downtown or a mile off the free way. All they care is how easy it is to get to, and the quality of the employees and products.

At just under $40k, I think someone could definitely get into this business and have a great start.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Well these guys aren't selling it because they are getting rich.

You would think at 40k someone would take a shot on it. If you did a business analysis on a just about any saltwater store you would bail instantly. Almost has to be a hobby as much as an investment.

I hope they don't just close up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts