Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone checked out this yet?

Ecotech Marine Vortech Propeller Pump

Looks like a nice alternative to a PH and similar to the Tunze. It has large water movement and keeps the heat out of the tank instead of in the tank by mounting the motor on the outside of the tank via a magnet to the propeller assembly on the inside of the tank. It also uses a battery backup supplied by Icecap, so in the event of a power failure it can still operate. Looks like a nice piece of equipment, IMO. I heard this was one of the main attractions at MACNA last weekend, I can see why.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Yeah i heard they were comparable to the tunze 6100. It looks cool, But i dunno if they are controllable, If they are thats pretty cool.
Anybody hear a price guesstimate yet? I have heard in between 3-400 dollars a pop.
LOL i guess they are controllable.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
these are interesting and get around the bulky look of teh Tunze streams but time will tell if they are as reliable.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
The motor is outside the tank, it drives the impellor magnetically. Little heat transfer to the water, especially on acrylic tanks.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
looks like is teh logical next step too

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wbeavers,
thanks for the links. Nice that there is no heat transfer in the tank and one less part to soak the build up off of. They are pricey but anything well built and reliable in this hobby usually is. It should be interesting to see how it compares with the Tunze.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Made by icecap so it gets my business. Good thing i got a new skimmer instead of a tunze. Those things are sweeeeet.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Not made by Icecap, just distributed by Icecap. Kirby spoke about them at our meeting. He, Steve and Rick were talking to the guys who made them at the MACNA meeting. Apparently the outside of the unit gets so hot you cannot touch it, literally. Supposedly the heat is not transferred into the tank due to some thick rubber gaskets, but I am not sure I would want something so hot sitting that close to the tank. I would hate for a wire to touch it and burn.

Also, apparently the tank it was on really vibrated from the pump. The guy claimed that it is just because so many people kept messing with it, but I would want to be sure it did not vibrate like that all the time. Kirby could feel a vibration on the rim of the tank. I am not sure that is good for the fish inside the tank, or for the tank seams. Maybe they will work out these bugs, but I would want to see a good one first.

Preuss is hoping to get a test pump, which would be cool because you could see one run next to a Tunze.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts