Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've had about 8 of them in tank for about 15 days......

all param's are in perfect order and holding due to maintenance....(thanks jim 19722!)

only thing is i noticed one turned red after a week, and now another is slowly turning red....

has anyone experienced this?

what would cause this?

i had some hair algae in there off LR originally and now its all gone, i assume they ate it all up....could that turn them red? or?

any feedback from somone who experienced this or knows why is awesome, im just curious.....

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
emerald crabs normal have a very bright red color in their joints.. but as far as their entire exo skelton turning red.. well yeah that would be really weird..

So are you meaning their joints? or their entire body?

If your just meaning their joints then it sounds like they are good and healthy.. the healthier they are it seem the redder their joints become.. we have one we bought a few months ago that was about the size of a nickle.. a couple months later it is probably half the size of a dollar bill and its joints are extremly red.. looks awsome.

best of luck~

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
liquidskys said:
emerald crabs normal have a very bright red color in their joints.. but as far as their entire exo skelton turning red.. well yeah that would be really weird..

So are you meaning their joints? or their entire body?

If your just meaning their joints then it sounds like they are good and healthy.. the healthier they are it seem the redder their joints become.. we have one we bought a few months ago that was about the size of a nickle.. a couple months later it is probably half the size of a dollar bill and its joints are extremly red.. looks awsome.

best of luck~
yea all their joints are EXTREMELY red, they grew incredibly in size, almost to the point of me wondering how the hell it happened, but one turned all the way red....lol. and another one has his joints getting red, and seems to be spreading.

i know its the shell and no algael growth on them. jsut somthing ive never seen.

thanks for the info so far it sound slike they are beyond healthy lol. to the level of like super healthy. hmm.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm. well the red one, i did some search and all i can think of is that it is a ruby mithrax crab.

the green ones with the red joints might just not be turning red just show signs of being healthy.

nice hitchiker then if he is a ruby mithrax instead of an emerald mithrax who turned red lol.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jim197722 said:
the red 1 I saw in your tank was a red mithrax....
yea i was wondering. one of the other emeralds is also trning redish on his legs and such. was jsut wodnering if its somthin from water quality or not, but sure isnt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts