Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had noticed my Stylophora were having issues and I figured it was either the Flame Angel or the Eilbi Angel picking at them. The last couple mornings I have awoken to my pair of Emerald Crabs sitting right on top of them going to town.

I am not sure if I could catch them if I tried....would anyone hold it against me if I shoved a steak knife through their heads? I am also open to other ideas...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, somehow I went it with a net and a piece of plastic tubing and managed to get one out. I put him in the sump because I have no where else for him to go at the moment. Will they eat ditritus and sponges settling in the sump? I might not be able to get him out of there at all lol.

I was reading something that told me they will turn to corals if they are not receiving enough food elsewhere. The little b***ard was in the tank for 3 months and this is the first time I have seen this behavior. I was thinking about letting things go but I checked the tank again and he had ventured over to my Wooly Green Acropora after all but decimating the Green Stylopgora...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Take a 20oz. plastic pop bottle. Cut off the top right where it goes to the full diameter of the bottle. Invert the top and push it back into the bottle. Now stick a piece of shrimp in the bottle and lean it on a 45 degree angle against some liverock so the crab can crawl into the opening. If he's hungry, it shouldn't take more than 24 hours and you'll have captured a crab with no effort.

I'd personally throw him in your refuge if you have one. He'll clean up the mess and won't damage your corals.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am defnitely going to avoid Emerald Crabs in the future. The Sally Lightfoots have never shown any interest in anything but algae, and scavenging.

I caught the second little *bad word* this morning while he was feasting. Might be battle royale in the sump today!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts