Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ballast went bad on my t-5 setup. I ordered a replacement ballast that was recommended by the manufacturer of my light. The old ballast is no longer made, so the new ballast that replaces it was sent. I matched the wire colors, but when I turned it on the bulb turned bright red by the socket. I tried with a white bulb and an actinic...same thing. I switched the two blue wires - same thing. I switched the two red wires - same thing. I switched the two yello wires and the bulb barely flickered. Here's a pic of the only wiring diagrams I was given (they are on the ballasts). The top one is the old one, bottom is the new one:

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know. The first one was wired by the manufacturer. To hook up the new one, I left all the wires how they were, and just connected the ends matching the colors. I see that the old diagram and the new diagram are different, but don't know what wires to attach to fix the difference.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I appears that the bottom ballast is meant to be wired in a parallel format, the old one was in a series (the yellow wire). You will need to split the yellow wires in two and send one from each "side" to each lamp. Just keep both bulbs the same orientation and it should work. I am not an electrician but I have done enough stereo installs. The difference in wiring is basically changing the amount of resistance on the ballast. By wiring like the original you are lowering the resistance and allowing a much higher current. I hope this makes sense.

Josh

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, how do I split the yellow wires in 2 and what do I connect them to? There are two yellow wires, each connected to one yellow wire coming out of the ballast.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The best way to do it is to get a "splice" fitting (like below) and a high ratio heat shrink tubbing. For a quick fix a wire nut will to. You will need a short piece of wire to add to the new ballast. I drew up a quick pic.

Splice

Diagram (not an artist either) :)

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it all figured out. Evidentally it was wired parallel and I needed i t in sequence (or the other way around). The manufacturer really made it difficult by not providing ANY instructions...and the way the sockets were wired together made the switch very difficult. Luckily I'm a girl so I had skinny fingers, a guy wouldn't have been able to do it:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts