Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if there is any way to make enough water flow without using any power heads in a 180 mixed reef?

They have the kits that you can up your own system of flow, but I don't know if that is enough.

Any options?

Just don't like the heat and energy my koralias use.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Need to go with one of those dreaded vortechs (Dang). Lol
Closed loop would prob. Work best but that's a lot of work!!
Good luck, let us know what you come up with!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol, I am not liking the "going to take a lot of work thing" I thought there might be an easy option lol

·
Registered
725 Posts
Unless you want to have the tank drilled a bunch and do a closed loop (potentially a lot of problems and big electricity usuage) system your best choices are tunze's 6100 series pumps or vortech's, tunze's being the cheapest route.

After I ended up with 6 Koralias in my 180, I realized it was not only an eye sore but still didn't move as much water and create such a strong undertow as the pair of mp40's that replaced them.

180's need a lot to get good water movement with dead areas my problems where the ends when I had all the Koralias in there.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
We discontiued using closed loop systems for the simple fact is one koralia uses around 14 watts for 1400 gph and a pump connected to a closed loop with the same drawn at the very least 4 times the ammount. I use vortechs myself and love them. The moter is on the outside of the aquarium to get rid of any heat and they also use less energy. The only thing I dont like is I can't aim them at certain spots in the aquarium. Good luck in you idea search!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts