Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's what I'm looking for; I hope someone can chime in at tell me what it is.

I went to a Reefer's house some years ago to buy some coral. He had this gel epoxy in a caulk tube. It worked great, but it was about $100 a tube. At the time I was new and thought that price was crazy. Now that I have bought a few thousand tubes of super glue that price doesn't sound so crazy.

I don't remember his name, but he served a drink called "apple pie" and it was great. I want to say he lived in clinton twp or somewhere out that way. he had a tank built half way in the wall in his finished basement.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated. I have to glue a lot of corals in my tank and that would be the way to go at this point. I don't want to have to buy 50 cases of super glue..lol

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I doubt any two part epoxy is reef safe. Epoxy in general is loaded with VOCs isn't it? Are you sure he was not just using RTV (room temperature vulcanization silicone) and pulling your leg on the $100 thing? Silicone creates aesidic acid or vinegar as it vulcanizes. Not the greatest for you ALK and pH, but a large system could handle a bit of it without too many issues. (a couple ounces, not a tube at once)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would have to agree... I'm not sure how any epoxy-like chemical would be considered reef safe before a full cure is acheived...

Why not try the "sandwich" method. It works pretty good for me.
First, you apply a layer of super glue gel (just the $1 store stuff) to the frag. Then you mix up an ample amount of 2 part underwater epoxy putty (demonstrated reef safe with an extremely quick cure time) and apply it to the frag, at which point the super glue locks it in place. Then take more super glue and coat the other side of the epoxy blob. Then just jam it into place getting the epoxy to grab onto as many holes in the rock as possible. The superglue in this instance isn't really doing so much of the holding, but rather the epoxy putty is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.