Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my Euro Reef skimmer, it's the older model of the RS-80. Think it's the CS-80... anywho, wondering how deep it can or should sit in the water... currently it's in about 8-10 inches of water, should I build something to sit it on for better performance? Or is it made to be in that deep of water? I know it's an "in sump" model, but otherwise, don't know much else about it, as I bought it used.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, also my skimmate cup fills in about 30-36 hours, so I pushed the little tube down to just above water level, thinking that will make it a dryer skimmate, if that doesn't fix it, should I raise up the whole unit and try lowering it even more?

Also, what kind of awesome mods are there for this? I've seen the one where you can put a flow restrictor on it, and also saw something about cutting up the wheel to make better bubbles, should I do one or both? I'm trying to keep a mixed reef, with zoo's, sps, lps, and shrooms/rics.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think that Euro-reef recommends that the skimmer be in 6-8 inches of water. To be sure, you can go to their website and look up the manual. As far as mods go, you can do a gate valve mod or mesh wheel mod on it.

The gate valve mod allows you to dial the skimmer in more precisely and fluctuating water depth in the sump has less of an impact on the skimmer. I plan on doing this to mine. You can piece together your own, or euro-reef sells everything that you need to do it in a package for about $55 on their website. I will most likely be going this route.

The mesh mod just chops up the bubbles finer than the original needle wheel does. Do a search if you are interested. There is a lot of info and at least one how-to video out there. I kinda want to try this, but in order to do it, I have to destroy my needle wheel (about a $40 or more part) and I am not ready to do that yet. The mesh mod is supposed to produce some spectacular results.

The next point to be brought up is can your skimmer be TOO efficient?? But that's a whole different discussion that I have nothing to contribute to.

Enjoy your skimmer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have this skimmer as well. I had to purchase a new impeller. Since I started using it the collection cup fills with water within 2hrs. Does anyone know why? I have raised and lowered the riser tube but it didn't help. Mine has not been modified. I don't mean to hijack thread just wondered if anyone has a sugestion. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
lower the stand pipe all the way down, take the collection cup off. run it off for a day or so, and run carbon in your tank if your not already.

jake

1 - 11 of 11 Posts