Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HERE WE GO! Took me 3 years and plenty of convincing but FINALLY the "Boss" will allow a bigger reef tank!!!! I jumped into reefing 4 years ago with a 75 fowlr due to the passing of my mother, I needed something to take my mind off all the stuff going on. So this will be my 2nd reef tank and sounds like my last one until we move from our Condo into a house. (I plan on a Shark tank one day.)
Basically I started this 29 reef in 2010 (january). the best additions were my ReefKeeper2 and MP 10. My biggest mistakes included not starting with a bigger tank, not having an ATO and spending all my money.
** Current stock on the 29 **
4 t-5's, Reef Octo skimmer, 1 Mp 10, a Reefkeeper 2, 40 #'s of Sand/Crushed Coral, 50-60 #'s live rock. Clean up crew consists of Snails (4 types), couple of hermits, and TONS of pods, mini stars, bristle worms. The sand and rock are well seeded so this should help my 75 :).

Fish : Pair of Swissguard Basslets, Pair of High fin Gobies, Nalolo Blenny, Blue stripe Pipefish. (All will go into the 75) My new additions are up in the air but these are Potentially what will go in my reef : pair of snowflake clowns, Smaller species of Tang (Bristletooth or Kole, going to wait till the tank matures a little), I may swap the High Fins for a pair of Dracula Gobies, maybe a Mystery Wrasse or Leopard Wrasse.

All the equipment will transfer, adding another MP 10, an ATO and MAYBE an upgraded Skimmer TBD.

So I will get to the pics :)

LMK what you guys think. I have to hang the light . . . Any ideas? (no ceiling Bosses orders LOL)
4/11/2010

2/2/2012 it's come along way

Any questions please ask

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's my start on the 75. It's drilled with a 1000 gph overflow, 20 gallong long sump (I will not have baffles or refugium, I plan on using a quietone 4000 as a return. I will also have a 5 or 10 gallon tank as an ATO reservoir. ** Big thanks to Tom Tdb180reef for the Aquatic life fixture, I can't believe how bright it is lol. ** Anyways I have roughly 30 gallons in there, It's a slow process due to the fact I don't have a return pump yet lol. I'm hoping to have everything going by early next week. I'm going to use some live rock and sand from my 29 as soon as I have a complete set-up. I also plan on using some water from my 29, trying to cheat as much as possible lol. I'm hoping to switch everything over in early March but we'll see. Impaitence has cost me alot of money before . . . so I'll be careful lol.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the extra room will be amazing! I figure I may try some SPS now, considering the water will be more stable and I have more than enough light. I won't know what to do with myself with this tank lol.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom, I hope so! There isn't going to be a coral switch in my tank lol, I'm a zoa guy. But I'm interested in Red Planet, Garf Bonsai, Green Slimer, etc. Nothing too crazy but gotta have some to have a "true" mixed reef. I gotta get some blue plus going on :victory:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aquaticlife hanging arms/kit

My revised sump

The sump was a HUGE P.I.A. I had no room to do anything but I feel it turned out good considering the circumstance lol. My elbows are brusied, my pride is hurt, my hands still have silicone on them and my Neighbors kid probably learned some new words :jester:.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was too busy today to be honest haha. I had to push snow this morning. someone came over and CLEANED me out on coral and then the chick was nagging so I BEGGED my buddy to let me come over and frag his coral LMAO. It'll be Full op tomorrow!!!!! Just gotta hook up the A.T.O. and I'll be golden.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Sparty, yeah that was the reason for the upgrade. The parameters change too much in the small, so my thinking is a bigger tank will be more stable and they'll grow alot better. We'll see.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I may hold a world record for most ceramic plugs per square inch :victory:. My collection is nothing compared to others I know. I got up to 100 different kinds and then they released like 200 more. It's like Pokemon it just never ends, it's impossible to collect them all lol.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yeah I may hold a world record for most ceramic plugs per square inch :victory:. My collection is nothing compared to others I know. I got up to 100 different kinds and then they released like 200 more. It's like Pokemon it just never ends, it's impossible to collect them all lol.
Have you made your own morphs yet?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:no:. I'm surprised nothing has morphed on me, judging by how close some of the frags are lol. I'll experiment when I have extra polyps to spare.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.