Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a false perc i was wondering what their perfered anemones are and would it encurage breeding?? i have a female is any one has a male too any other breeding tricks i would love to hear

·
Registered
115 Posts
I find my percs are most comfortable in bubble tip anemones or carpet anemones. You need really good lighting for the carpets, and actually good lighting for the bubble tips. My clowns and my moms are both breeding and yes they are much, much happier and content for breeding if you give them an anemone. Make sure you have a couple of flatter rocks near-by for them to lay eggs on. The female tends to choose the flatter, smoother rocks for laying.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I think most people would disagree with the anemone suggestion for breeding. A good number of false percs in the hobby today are captive bred and are MUCH less likely to host. There's a good chance that you could get an anemone and they would host in other corals in the tank, and anemones tend to be difficult to keep. I once got an anemone for my pair and they never hosted, they preferred my open brain coral and have bred many times wihtout one (I've raised a few batches of them).

False percs are also quite easy to get to breed, a 20 gallon tank with a flower pot will work, and most breeders on here have tanks with only substrate, the clown pair, and a flower pot and are very successful.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yea anemones are irrelevent to clownfish, and unless you like the look and extra care for them are unnessacary. Should you have the passion to breed clowns, I HIGHLY recommend reading Clownfishes by joyce Wilkerson, people say its good and informative, I would say It is the only book you need, ever. all brreeding species highly covered in detail. but yea flower pot a nice varity of lipid and protien rich foods and a healthy mature pair you will have babies in a jiff

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Also if have not bought an anemone yet, think hard about that as well. I went against everything I say not too do and bought a GBTA, my female was hosting in my Goniopora and the coral didn't much care for it. So I bought a GBTA and guess what? She still is hosting in the coral and the GBTA is like 8" from it! I have never though putting a anemone in a reef tank was a good idea, to many bad thing may/may not happen, I have corals that if the anemone killed I would be super bummed, my anemone is staying put so far, but it can wander at anytime. Clown do not have to a anemone to be happy. BTW Weimer has successfully breed clowns, she has first hand experience. If you still think you want one, PM me.

Dan

Last thing carpet anemones get huge and they are fish eaters, even large fish. They are beautiful anemones but it can be big issue.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It is funny that people say that captive breed clowns are less likley to host. I have several of my own captive breed clowns hosting right now. One of them is a white bonnet hosting a BTA. I have a captive pair of saddle backs hosting a carpet. I sold 50 clowns to Something Fishy, go up and look in their tanks. My captive breed fish are all over their anemones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts