Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son got a xbox 360 for xmas and that's all he wants to do now. So I decided we should build somthing so why not a saltwater tank? We are building a 40gponinsala breeder with a 40g breeder sump. Im going to add pics and more info as I get more parts. Wish me luck and any ideas are welcome!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great idea

Awesome idea, i'm excited to see the outcome! I have a 40 gallon as my show tank right now and a small refugium. I am fairly new to the game still so i will leave it to the experienced guys for the advice

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good plan

Had the same issues with my son, 9 years old and all he wanted to do was play with his PS3, all the sudden about 3 weeks ago he started really getting interested in my reef. Now he is addicted, just like me, he is looking through Live Aquaria or other places telling me what type of fish or coral he wants! Every day I get home he wants to go to a fish place, pretty cool really.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. Are you building the tanks and all or purchasing prebuilt tanks? Whats the plan so far? I'm assuming your drilling the Display tank. Are you making a sump/ fuge? Custom lighting or manufacture? This will be a great project for you and your son. Is he excited about working on this with you and into saltwater?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its great to see everyones interest in my build and I am glad that im not the only one with this problem. We bought 2 40g breeders but no stand no hood and we are building a sump out of the other 40 and as for lighting I have a 175 watt HQI and two t5s and im not putting and pumps in this tank besides the return and im going to drill it ion both ends and use the return to circulate the water on alternating currents. It is going to be a paninsala tank since it is so small I figured two long ends to view is better then one front view. Pics are to come I just have to figure out how to get them on here.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I need some help...how do I know where and how to drill my overflow...im still going to use an overflow box I just want to eliminate the u tube and im not sure on the design I should use so it's more efficient and im putting valves on it so I can controls the flow better then fully open and it's going in the living room so it needs to bee as quiet as possible. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I haven't drilled a tank yet but, I would look into the the beananimal style overflow and go with a coast to coast overflow. Which runs the entire length of your tank and has 3 drain pipes. One is the main drain, one is a secondary drain and the third is an emergency drain.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked around and I think that style will be the best...is there a calculation on how big the overflow box should be because I am using the short side of the tank for my overflow side and is there a site or somthing to tell how many holes I can drill in one part before the tank wont be safe anymore?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I don't know about a calculator, but a glass holes 1500GPH kit with teeth has about 14 to 15 inches of linear overflow surface. In my opinion if you go coast to coast on the end of a 40 breeder you will be able to handle more flow than you could possibly want through the fuge. Use in tank circulatin and only run 750 GPH or so through your sump and you will be much happier microbubble and noise wise. Hope that is of some use to you.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I would think that with a 40 breeder you should be fine having the holes on the side. Just try and keep them at least 1.5 inches apart. As for the overflow itself, just have it run from front to back walls about 4x4 inches should be sufficient. Two glass sheets the length of that side and 4" wide. I would probably go with 1/4" glass. Dont want it breaking if accidently bumped.
You could always go with a glass holes kit as well. Personally I like the beananimal overflow and will most likely incorporate on in my next system.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I wouldn't recommend using a hang on back overflow. If the power goes out the siphon will break and will not start again on its own. When the power comes on the pump will kick on and the tank will overflow all over your floor.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so ignore my last post im going with the beananimal over flow with the coast to coast approach. I like the idea of trying somthing new. Ok now that I decided on what one im going to use how should I build it and I am drilling for my return swell. Would I be able to put 5 1.5 in holes in the small end of a 40g breeder?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I wouldn't recommend using a hang on back overflow. If the power goes out the siphon will break and will not start again on its own. When the power comes on the pump will kick on and the tank will overflow all over your floor.
When using the CPR Overflows in conduction with an Aqua Lifter Pump. There is no worry of this happening. This is what I have run on my tank from the start and have had no issues. The Aqua Lifter pump will start the siphon again. Works great.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Ok so ignore my last post im going with the beananimal over flow with the coast to coast approach. I like the idea of trying somthing new. Ok now that I decided on what one im going to use how should I build it and I am drilling for my return swell. Would I be able to put 5 1.5 in holes in the small end of a 40g breeder?
I dont think so. Why do you need 5 1.5"? 1.5 for a return is huge 3/4 for return should be good which is 7/8 hole I think. You could do them like the three in the bottom of the tank for the bean overflow and then a return in the side. As long as the bottom is not tempered. :2911:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea...now that I think about it that is big for a return. I think im still going to go with the beananimal because it will be a little more quiet unless im wrong? Does anyone know how to put pics up from your phone? I have some pics for everyone!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok im in a delema in my own mind. I love how much space the CPR takes up but im not sure if I will like the sound and I like the beananimal but I don't like how much space it takes up so that is my delema what one should I go with. My whole design is geared around saving space and the beananimal takes up more space bit I like that it is silent. I don't know what to do!

1 - 20 of 103 Posts