Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can too many feather dusters be bad for either your refugium or main tank? I literally have 100's in my refugium and my display tank is starting to be infested with them? Just want to confirm that they do not drain important nutriants from the water?

·
Registered
228 Posts
ive got them in my display in the hundreds also, they dont seem to hurt. I like to think of them as a free filter. =] and a snack to any fish in my future who may eat them =]

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
A copperband butterfly will take care of your feathers in a matter of days.

My tank was like yours, hundreds of little dusters, and the copperband I got for my GF (now my wife) went thru the entire population in a few days!! Not a duster left anywhere except the fuge. CB croaked, probably from lack of it's duster diet, and it's been almost 2 yrs now, and the dusters are back as strong as ever. I see them as a free filter as well.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm trying to figure out why my refugium plants don't grow well anymore? I was wondering if because I have so many dusters in the refugium if they are taking the nutrieants away from the plants? I keep my 100w light running 24hrs??

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Algae and feather duster worms use completely different sources of nutrients. Algae use primarily dissolved inorganic nutrients (ammonia, nitrate, phosphate) while feather duster worms use particulate and likely dissolved organics. The proliferation of feather duster worms and decline of algae are not related except perhaps by very indirect means.

I wouldn't worry a bit about them. They are among the loveliest creatures we can grow in our aquariums IMO :D

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
sKuLLy said:
I'm trying to figure out why my refugium plants don't grow well anymore? I was wondering if because I have so many dusters in the refugium if they are taking the nutrieants away from the plants? I keep my 100w light running 24hrs??
Try adding a little iron. I use a capful of Flourish every month. Many on here have found that they have to do this to keep it growing. BTW my tank was covered with those dusters. I added a CBB and all and I mean thousands were gone in a week! They are still in my sump but I don't see any harm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts