Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the fact that I have a clown that possibly is sick with ick, I'm having trouble feeding.

The tank is 24Gallons. The fish is 1 clown (the other is in the QT tank). The shrimps are 2 peppermint. The crabs are 2 emerald. Nothing much else going on aside from some snails and hermit crabs.

Feeding the main tank, I take a lima bean size chunk of frozen mysis shrimp, a little less than lima bean size chunk of rods food, and a pinch of flake food. I turn off the return pump and close the return valve. Closed loop stays on. I break up all the food in the lower back tank and it gets gently spread around. Shrimp get happy, crabs get happy. Pretty much everyone comes out to eat.

Now for the stupid clown fish. Plenty of food particals of all different kinds floating around, and they stay floating for quite some time. The clown will grab countless bites of eveything that pass his way, hold it for a split second, then spit it back out. I haven't seen him swallow anything. He does this constantly, even hours after feeding when there is hardly anything left circulating.

Is he actually eating and spitting some back out, or is he waaaay too picky?

Also, am I putting too much food in the tank? I'm doing this daily until I see the clown eat, then was going to cut back to every other day or so. I don't want to have a messy tank.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Sounds like too much food IMO. I feed that much to 9 fish in a 120g daily.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
wow man...cut back, stop now.... with that kind of food you're putting in there you'd need something hard core to get that excess nutrient load out.... I'd do half that every 2-3 days, and your tank will still thrive. If you're having trouble getting something to eat, go pick up a small bottle of the garlic additive, then soak your food in it for 1-2 minutes, then pour into the tank, your clown will eat that stuff up, and everything else in the tank will go crazy as well.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I was kinda figuring that way. I'm used to fish that eat everything right away. Do I need to do anything special since I did this 2 days, or will cutting back for a few days be ok?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
you'll probably have a detritus build up in the sand/rock, so when you do your water change, just gravel vac, if you have a great clean up crew you'll probably be fine.

Seriously try the garlic addative, it'll make a world of difference, got my fish to eat when they were in the QT tank with ich, ate like mad, and the nassarius snails go crazy when you pour the food in with that in there.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the garlic additive a possible grocery store item? Like I said two peppermint shrimp, two emerald crabs, a coupld of turbo snals, a couple of hermit crabs and a couple of other smaller snails. Gravel vacing was going to be my next question. I'm not sure how. Water changes are alot smaller than in a fresh water tank. I can barely cover any area and it's time to stop, especially with the brace dividing the opening of the tank.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Garlic Extreme by Kent Marine i think. Its a LFS purchase for sure. Its a bit pricey though like $17 bucks. But for your tank it should last a long long time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Go to your local grocery store & look in the spice aisle for garlic juice. It's 100% garlic juice, does the same thing as the Garlic Extreme & is much cheaper.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I think the Kent Marine is a Garlic Extract which would be more powerful than the juice bubba, but I'm sure it will give you the same effects, you would have to just use more.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You probably don't need someone else saying the same thing but, definately use some garlic extreme and cut way back on the amount of food. It is better to feed a little bit throughout the day than a lot at once. I try to feed my tank 2-3 times a day with only enough the fish can eat in less than a minute. My corals are different and I usually direct feed them.
Good luck and let us know how things are going.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts