Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 25 gal rimless cube, not drilled. I am not sure what type of filtration to use. I don't know much about canister filters, is this a better choice than HOB filters? I am not thrilled about having something hanging off the back of the tank since it kind of ruins the rimless look but don't really want to drill it either. I am not even sure how the plumbing goes for a canister filter so not sure how much come up and into the tank. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lori

·
Registered
812 Posts
I agree with get it drilled if it can be.You will be much happier with an sump down below if you can.IMO.What are the dimensions?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'd have it drilled if I were you. I have a 30g rimless cube 25x25x12 drilled at the bottom and with a 20g sump. The sump is three Chambers, reef octopus 160, chaeto and then the return pump (730gph I think/tunze).

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
do it right the first time. drill it. think of how much money this tank is going to cost you already. dont invest that much into some thing that isnt going to make you perfectly happy, especially when drilling is not that expensive.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so if I go drilled, who does this? Where should it be drilled, bottom or middle back? I will have to check the measurements on the tank when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
any place that sells custom glass should do this for you. i have a small local business nearby that i have gone through many times. and although i have never gotten a hole drilled from them, i once asked, they said that i was looking at 10 bucks tops, for a hole.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Be careful. Tempered glass cannot be drilled without cracking; and any drilling you do will void manufacturer warrantee.

If this does not describe your tank, then yes I'd pay to have it drilled or put an overflow off the back. If you drill, I'd go through the bottom so you don't have to see the plumbing from the outside of the tank. You're also going to have to buy and install and overflow box inside the tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts