Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up a quarantine tank for the first time. Specs are:
40long (a little large, but I'm buying large fish)
berlin skimmer
seeded with water from my established reef (all 40 gal)
2 powerheads
2 NO 18w flourescent lights
1 heater
Some plastic hiding places

I plan on keeping fish for two weeks at a time, watching for trouble. If none, then in they go to the dt.

q:Did I do this right
q:Can I keep this tank going or should I empty it after every fish quarantine
q:Will the water keep for 2 weeks with this setup without going bad since the only filter is the skimmer
q:do I do water changes of any quantity while the fish are in there
q:If I have a disease problem and use copper, how do I disinfect the tank after
q:Can I have more than one fish quarantining at one time if they all go in together

A sheet of acrylic is covering the whole tank so the junk up top won't fall in.

Here's a pic of it:

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
347 Posts
Tom, I personally recommend qting fish for at least 3 weeks.

qid I do this right- everything appears to be good.

q:Can I keep this tank going or should I empty it after every fish quarantine - I highly recommend emptying the tank after each fish. Just in case a fish did have a disease but didn't show signs.

q:Will the water keep for 2 weeks with this setup without going bad since the only filter is the skimmer - you might want to put some "junk" live rock in there for added bacteria???

q:do I do water changes of any quantity while the fish are in there - I did a 2 gallon water change every other day when I qt'd all my fish. It might have been a little excessive, but I feel it helps keep the water quality high. This was on a 15 gallon tank. In your case, I would change 3-5 gallons every 2 days or so.

q:If I have a disease problem and use copper, how do I disinfect the tank after - i always emptied my tank after each use of copper for a sick fish.

q:Can I have more than one fish quarantining at one time if they all go in together - you can but if one fish is sick and the others' aren't, be prepared to have a qt tank full of sick fish. This is why I feel it is important to have one fish at a time or multiple qt tanks. Your method is okay, it just greatly increases the chances for the other fish to get sick.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Looking good. Really the only thing that caught my eye was the lighting, but its definently sufficient for a fish QT (I would increase light to QT corals).

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
TomToro said:
I plan on keeping fish for two weeks at a time, watching for trouble. If none, then in they go to the dt.
You will need to quarantine for a minimum of 4 weeks for it to be effective. 6-8 weeks is better. Make sure to turn off the protein skimmer if running a treatment.

TomToro said:
q:Can I keep this tank going or should I empty it after every fish quarantine
I would sterilize with bleach overnight, than neutralize chlorine with sodium thiosulfate between uses.

TomToro said:
q:Will the water keep for 2 weeks with this setup without going bad since the only filter is the skimmer
The water will remain fine. "Seeding" the tank with water from an established tank won't work (water contains very little in the way of nitrifying bacteria). It is fine to use water from there but it will do nothing to avoid an ammonia/nitrite spike when livestock is added. You need to add large amounts of bacteria in some form. Most hobbyists accomplish this by adding an established biofilter while others do this by adding live bacteria cultures.

TomToro said:
q:do I do water changes of any quantity while the fish are in there
You will have to monitor ammonia and nitrite and change the water as necessary. Treatments sometimes need additional water changes.

TomToro said:
q:If I have a disease problem and use copper, how do I disinfect the tank after
Fill with tap water, bleach it overnight, than add sodium thiosulfate to neutralize the chlorine. Refill with salt and reseed for next round.

TomToro said:
q:Can I have more than one fish quarantining at one time if they all go in together
Yes but more fish can make it a bit more difficult to quarantine (fish with different treatment tolerances, higher chance of aggression/feeding competition, higher bioload stress on the quarantine system).

·
Registered
669 Posts
mhltcob knows what he's talking about, I second everything he says, ESPECIALLY the bleach and thio! I would add a sponge filter and leave it in the tank when you bleach the system (but rinse it before you bleach).

Tide

1 - 5 of 5 Posts