Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been having coral health issues in my 125g reef. Tested for nitrates- 75! cleaned tank, blew off rocks, harvested a lot of algae from algae scrubber and harvested a lot of red macro. Found that my skimmer may not have been set properly over last couple of weeks (Hoping this is why nitrates are so high). I did a 24g water change yesterday and today nitrates are still at 75.
Tested all other parameters with salifert kits and basically everything else is out of wack. I do regular water changes with Salinity salt. Wondering if I should do some wet skimming and do some more water changes over a few days until the nitrates go down before adjusting the following parameters or adjust these tonight and watch nitrates.

79*
75 nitrate
2 phoshates
360 calcium
6.3 Alk
1170 mag
2 strontium
<0 Iodide

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
What about ammonia and nitrites? Nitrate isn't awful...its better than nitrites and ammonia. Harvesting algae was probably a bad idea - it feed off nitrates. Have you tested your source water? Are you using ro/di? My guess is its in your water if nitrates are still that high after a 25% water change....

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Ive been having coral health issues...
Coral health issues have as much to do with stability as anything. As you go proceed with caution. To much of a good thing stops being a good thing.

except chocolate.

75 nitrate
2 phoshates
360 calcium
6.3 Alk
1170 mag
2 strontium
<0 Iodide
You have some wacky parameters. Low calcium, alkalinity, and I bet PH. Why? If you are not sure, what is your best guess and we can work out the details together.

I've never seen anyone measure strontium.

as for the nitrates I suspect your test. You might try testing, then another sample dilute by 5 and test again. If the result is anything but predictable your test is crap.

HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts