Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ay howzit!? Was given a couple tanks so figured I鈥檇 start my first fish tank. I have watched and read a ton from the folks over at BRS. Always looking for tips and tricks, I only know of one other person with a reef tank. Biggest down side have been the cost of everything 馃槵. Added water, live sand, dr tims and ammonia beginning of October. The tank was testing all good 3 weeks later so tossed in some microbacter7 and few days later did a water change and added some clowns. Just looking for what鈥檚 next before adding more fish or coral?
Wood Fixture Gas Composite material Building

Water Vertebrate Light Organism Marine invertebrates

Registered
Hey welcome!! Looks like a pretty nice setup! Definitely look to have the equipment end handled well. What size is that, 180? Hard to tell but looks nice.

I like the rock work, it has some unique shapes and I like that it fills in the area of the tank nicely, yet there's still negative space.

You going to keep this a Fowlr? What kind of fish are you planning to keep?

Best of luck to the upcoming adventure! Keep us updated with tank shots and stuff.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! Yea took a couple weeks messing around with to get it where it鈥檚 at.
the tank is a 120 and sump is 50.

So I鈥檓 looking at doing a full reef setup starting with softies and lps. I know I鈥檒l need new lights but just trying to wait it out until I find someone selling one for cheap. Flow is something I know I鈥檒l need to improve just don鈥檛 know what to use and placement.

Fish wise I don鈥檛 even know馃槀 looking for a good variety. (Have any input)I鈥檓 planning on ordering a few blue leg hermits and trochus snails soon

Registered
Ha I was initially thinking 120 but those clowns looked especially tiny lol. No worries they grow quick.

I've started few tanks and I can say don't be concerned too early with algae. Almost every tank will get some brown dusting of algae.

Additionally, and this is just my opinion after getting into the freshwater planted side of the hobby, but don't feel overly pressured to toss up really powerful lights. Reason being more light = more algae until you have the tank at something of an equilibrium. Even then try to get just enough light to handle your corals.

The tough part about reefs is the cost. Because of that we tend to stock slowly and over time. That allows nutrients to really build up unless you have a way to export those nutrients. Corals, especially softies, will intake nutrients due to the zooxanthellae in their tissues - but not in particularly huge quantities. Other than that you have macroalgae, water changes, and skimming. The hard part is finding that balance. With a 120g (170g)you can't just throw water changes at it so skim hard once things get going, but be observant of your corals and be prepared to pull it back some as needed because corals need some nutrients in the water. Until you have the "eye" to know what's going on through observation invest in a good test kit and establish a consistent routine.

Use an auto top off. Keeping salinity stable in such a large system will be easier than a small one but it's a key parameter.

Finally flow is pretty important, as long as the substrate isn't blowing all over, or you don't have sensitive corals, flow is good. I've had decent luck with the jebao RW series. I've had 2 that each lasted like 4 years. I think I could probably have them longer but I soak them in vinegar which apparently isn't good to do I'm learning.

Registered
Love the negative space rock work. Did something similar in mine too. My 2 clowns just tend to swim around the front all day long but my royal gramma and yellow coris swim in and out everywhere. The important thing is to take it slow when added live stock and even with the lights. My rocks cycled in the dark for a month, then 1 hour of whites for a week, then another hour added the following week and so on. I ended up only doing 4 hours of daylight and 12 of moon. No algae outbreaks and only ended up with a quarter size cyano outbreak. Zoas are doing great and the 2" acro stick I bought for $10 is starting to grow nubs in only 2-3 weeks. If you have live sand, get a diamond goby. He'll keep your sand super clean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts