Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey MR community! After keeping freshwater tanks primarily stocked with cichlids the past five years, I've finally decided to dip my toes into something a little more salty.

After a few years of curiousity and scouring of forums and websites, I finally feel comfortable with my ability to maintain a micro reef tank with 10% weekly - biweekly WC. Right now I'm really just looking for a little advice from you experts out there on where i am now, and where I want to be.

I have a 10 gallon glass tank.
It's currently about a week into cycling, and i hope my die off will produce a spike in ammonia levels soon. I plan to start as a FOWLR with perhaps only a few clowns or a fire goby, but would like to transition to keeping a couple of small corals.

its contents include 15 pounds of CaribSea Arag-Alive live sand, 10 pounds of VERY porous, beautiful purple and green liverock i purchased from two local stores (hoping to get some variety of pods, worms and the like), and a "reef pods tisbe" bag of pods suspended in water with some chaeto. I used DI/RO water i purchased from walmart with oceanic salt mix, and is sitting at a specific gravity of about 1.024-1.025, at about 80 degrees. I have a marineland biowheel filter rated at 150gph and a marineland powerhead with both impeller/propeller modes for either 110 or 500 gph respectively.

I've found what appear to be many small feather duster worms, a few different bristle stars, and some sort of soft coral perhaps? i'm not entirely sure. I'll update with photos.

Is the marineland HOB filter worth keeping? or should i try to convert it into a refugium with a bit of LR gravel and a piece of chaeto? consider another option? orrrr?

much thanks reefers!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well your off to a great start! Just remember don't hurry as it will take time to balance and having only a 10 gallon tank is going to be a little tricky and actually harder than something a little bigger but none the less there's a ton of nano tanks out there doing great so just watch your water quality closely (nitrates/phosphates) and keep up on small weekly water changes (10%). Ditch the bio-wheel or stick it back on a freshwater tank as it will just create a lot if nitrates imop and set up a nice little refugium.

Good Luck with it and the life on the rock already a great addition to your tank as I think those things can be some of the coolest stuff especially when I first started reefing.

And welcome to MR

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ditch the bio-wheel or stick it back on a freshwater tank as it will just create a lot if nitrates imop and set up a nice little refugium.
would it be worth trying to make the biowheel into a mini HOB refugium? I've seen a lot of people do it with the aquaclear 110 model, using the intake on the filter, and a piece of screen or the like to hold in LR rubble and chaeto? I'd like to avoid drilling the tank if i could.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is what i think is a feather duster? they're all over, and only about a cm in height.

some sort of coral?

some of the live rock with various crawlies.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Ive only been doing this for a year, but my feather duster colonies havent really done anything. Except feed. They look cool too. Congrats.on the mushroom. I had some to start with too with star polyps. Turns out free corals are my favorite species. Lol.

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE:

Hey everyone! Just checking back in. My 10gal is about 10-11 days into a cycle with liverock, and I'm pretty sure I'm on the back-end of it from what I understand.

After the game tonight (btw, go wings :nhl_checking:) I noticed what I believe to be diatom growth on my substrate, LR, and parts of the glass and accessories. This IS normal, correct? Based on what I've been told and what I've read, now is the time to begin considering a clean up crew?

Any input? Is now the right time? and whether or not it is, what would you recommend for my cleanup? hermits, crabs, snails, stars, etc.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I would hold off on the Clean up Crew (CUC) until your ammonia levels are readying 0. Your tank will cycle without a CUC in there. At that point go ahead and add a few hermits and snails.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts