Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so I am close to starting my livestock shopping and wanted some opinions on fish...here is my wish list.....let me know what you think.

Vert's.
Powder blue tang
Purple tang ...added at same time as PB tang
Emperor angel
Flame angel
Pair of pecula clowns
Sand sifting goby
Copper banded butterfly

Inverts.
Gbta
Mini-maxi carpet
Bright green carpet anemone
SPS, SPS, SPS
Frogspawn
Hammer coral

I know some of the angels are questionable, gonna add them first then add corals slowly

Let me know what you think! Thanks

Basics:
160 gal
3 kessil LEDs sky blue
55 gal refugium
Berlin protein skimmer
200lbs live rock
3 koralia power heads for internal flow

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Ok...so I am close to starting my livestock shopping and wanted some opinions on fish...here is my wish list.....let me know what you think.

Vert's.
Purple tang ...added at same time as PB tang
Flame angel
Pair of pecula clowns
Sand sifting goby

Inverts.
Gbta
Mini-maxi carpet
Bright green carpet anemone
SPS, SPS, SPS
Frogspawn
Hammer coral

I know some of the angels are questionable, gonna add them first then add corals slowly

Let me know what you think! Thanks

Basics:
160 gal
3 kessil LEDs sky blue
55 gal refugium
Berlin protein skimmer
200lbs live rock
3 koralia power heads for internal flow
btw you would be better off adding the corals first IMO. copperbands definitely not a beginner fish as well as the PBT.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Those are a bunch of pretty fish but it's a really full tank in my opinion; more large fish (consider full grown size) than many would place in that size tank including me. Also, as others opine, the Powder Blue, Copperband and even Emporor Angel are not always the easiest fish to keep. Many would also caution about the Emporor in a reef tank.Doesn't mean you can't do it, all of these fish are kept by many, (although maybe not all together) just know that they are more difficult and demanding. They are also high waste producing fish so just make sure your skimmer can handle it. Your anemone's and SPS don't always mix well together and of course your Euphyllias can get very large and are agressive so allelopathy is a concern if in close proximity to your SPS.

My sense is that all those anemones may not fit well but there are others here who could guide you better in that regard than I.

My other sense is that you may be trying to do too much in this size tank although opinions will vary.

Personally, since you asked, I'd lose the Copperband, limit myself to one Tang, and replace with a couple small/mid size fish such as anthias, blennies, or even a wrasse.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Agree w/ rfurst. Also want to add that you should start with easier fish. I see that you are NEW to SW. How much exp w/ FW and what are your success' there? It is heartbreaking to see your favorite fish die and can imagine that it would be sickening to know it was because you were not "ready" for them yet.

You learn a lot by reading, getting feedback etc. Reading is one thing, experience is another. See how you handle the hardier fish (not meaner...hardier) first and then work your way up.

Remember that you are taking a lot of these fish off of a reef to bring into your home. Unless you are SURE that you can, and will continue for the long term, properly care for them you should leave them be.

A 160 G is not large enough long term for an Emporer Angel. There are a lot of other angels including gorgeous dwarf angels to consider. With the dwarfs you MAY be able to do more than 1 angel in a 160G with simultanious introduction (not the same type).

Happy Reefing!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

Everyone I appreciate the advice. I have been reading and have most of the books now from the suggestion list. I had read that the emperor angel was reef compatible "with care" and have spoken to some that say yes and no...so I thought i'd ask here. When it says I am "new to the hobby" I have had SW tanks (FOWLER) for 10 years and took a 10 year break from it while at school etc. I have had a lot of success with keeping the fish but couldn't afford the lighting to do the reef. I now have the lighting so I still feel new and it is AMAZING how much has changed in 10 years! Thanks again for every ones suggestions and I am going to keep reading.....I am sorry this got so long, I just wanted to answer some of the questions from different people in the same post.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I had 2 tangs and 2 angels in my 150 FO tank. Everything was fine in the beginning but eventually, as everyone got larger, things got nasty... so be careful. You have room for one maybe two large, dominate fish. It is really pushing it with two tangs and a large angel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts