Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a fish tank interfere with a wireless router? For some reason, the two laptops we have keep losing the connection and it keeps telling us that the signal is either low or non-existant.

WTF.... this just started happening and we have had the fish tank up for a few months before it started happening, but my wife thinks that all of the electronics and wiring for the tank might be causing the router signal to be lost (the tank is between the office and living room where we use the laptop).

Is this possible? Has anyone else experienced this? What can be done to fix it because it is frustrating the hell out me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
It's possible, but there are lots of things that could degrade the signal. You may need to slightly relocate the router or simply adjust the antennas if your router has them.

My router is in a seperate room, and if I walk past it often/frequently when I'm in that room, I'll need to reset the router because my wireless devices lose connection.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Try changing the channel that you have the router on. Do a search for network stumbler. Load that on one of your laptops and change the channel on the router and see how it changes the signal strength.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jduck... can you give me a little more instructions on how and where to search for the 'network stumbler? also, how and where do you load the channel on the laptops and change the channel on the router.

i'm pretty computer literate, but this is new.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

To change the channel on the router. You have to log into the router. Check your IP address. Most common is 192.168.2.xxx

The router IP would be 192.168.2.1 thats what you would type into the URL or address bar.
You should get a window to pop up that will ask you to log in. You will have to look up your router and find out what the default login/password is.
Look through the menus and it gives you the options to change the channels. You can change the channel on the router. And with one of the loptops with network stumpler installed on it you can check signal strength on the diffrent channels.

·
Registered
75 Posts
also when u change the channel go above channel 10 if you can. Not many have channel 11 but if yours does try it! I too had the channel problem. It drove me nuts! The I finally relized that every time I was on my house phone I had no signal.......LOL. Most phones and such use channel 1-10.......grrr! Good luck! :)

G

·
if you can elevate your router or its antenna if it is on a wire to a hight above the tank prety much any wires or wiremesh can cause a signal block and with all the wires going up to your tank you are creating one

so if you move your router up in tho the top corner by the celing of the room it is in you should be able to increase your signal strength rember it is always working in LINE OF SIGHT so imagine there was nuthing between your laptop and the router well the computer can see the router

now put up a wall of chicken wire and the lap top cant see it again cause the wire absorbs the signal and distorts it but if that wall of wire only goes up so high and you move the router above that then you can see it again make sense

1 - 7 of 7 Posts