Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be adding my first fish back to mt tank after a ich outbreak at the end of deb and I'm doing research and I'm trying to decide a beginner fish or fishes that are pretty cheap that will add some motion to the tank. I'm thinking blue green chromis etc etc can you guys give me some ideas? I'm thinking like 15 or less for the fish

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Just my .02, but, I wouldn't even consider putting 15 fish in my 90. The most I have had was 11 and would consider adding another depending on my current fish and tank stability at that time. If I remember correctly, you mentioned you weren't running a sump and not sure about the skimmer. That would be disaster waiting to happen all over again. For a 55 your looking on the high end of 8 fish and that would probably be pushing with a well filtered and stable system and that all depends on the type and size of fish, what there requirements are and so on.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No no no I'm just talking cheap fish to start with I meant 15 dollars or less fish lol I would never try 15 fish in that tank lol I just want to start cheap this time cuz I'm worried I don't wanna lose 100 bucks in fish quick lol i wanna start with something cheaper to make sure everything is ok so anyone have any cheaper fish? Also do you guys think chromis should always be kept in schools or is one ok?

·
Registered
414 Posts
+1 on Jessemac - but I also would think about more than just a partridge fish. Chromis or Anithias are both good options. I'd stay away from Damsels unless you really want one long term.

Also, keep your planned corals in mind.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I am going to be adding my first fish back to mt tank after a ich outbreak at the end of deb
WHAT?!?! The 55 hasn't even cycled - you still had freshwater fish in it on January 1st.

You need to leave it fishless for 8 weeks, which means you have until March. Whether the fish is cheap or not, it deserves a chance and doesn't deserve to suffer and die. NOTHING in this hobby happens fast - wait out the minimum of 6 weeks, preferrably 8. Use this time to figure out your entire fish list so we can suggest what fish to add when so your chances of success are greatest.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
WHAT?!?! The 55 hasn't even cycled - you still had freshwater fish in it on January 1st.

You need to leave it fishless for 8 weeks, which means you have until March. Whether the fish is cheap or not, it deserves a chance and doesn't deserve to suffer and die. NOTHING in this hobby happens fast - wait out the minimum of 6 weeks, preferrably 8. Use this time to figure out your entire fish list so we can suggest what fish to add when so your chances of success are greatest.
Maybe I read it wrong or I probably would have said something as well. In the first line, second sentence. I believe it was supposed to be feb but was typed deb. Maybe it was supposed to be dec as in december which in that case. I would tend to agree with weimers75 and you should wait. The chance of infecting another fish is still there and likely.
Other than that. It is good that you are not adding 15 fish! lol But, as soverjas mentioned. I too would look into other fish and not just cheap ones because they are cheap. Start slow with one or two fish at a time every few weeks. Everything will work out. But, wait until the appropriate time to add new fish and now is not it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow this spiraled out of control fast. i am not adding 15 fish and i did type deb when it was supposed to be feb and most likely march trust me im taking it slow and im not just trying to do something cheap im trying to just go slow im thinking maybe a pair of firefish to start? is that ok? or is that a bad idea lets just say march 1st. also i will be doing a qt tank so they will be in the qt tank march first and stay there atleast 2 weeks till i know they are healthy. i have some purple mushrooms thriving very well in there now except when my hermits walk on them, and will be adding a little frag of orange cap and pulsing xenia and some more frags soon i believe so anyone have any idas besides clowns?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

and i am waiting 8 weeks, my fish list if most probably going to be 2 fire fish one flame angel and prob some sort of reef safe wrasse and a pair of clowns and i would like to add the clowns later on in time i dont want to start with them so please tell em what to ad first

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
You could reasonably start with any of them. I would probably add the wrasse first or the fire fish then wrasse, then the clowns and flame angle. The last two can be switched as they are two very different fish and should bother or compete with each other for food. You will want to wait a few weeks between adding fish when adding the wrasse to give it time to adjust and come out in the open.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The fire fish would be fine to add first but I would add the clowns next before adding the wrasse then finally the flame angel last so that you are putting the most aggressive fish in last. if you add the angel first he will become territorial and aggressive to any fish added after him.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
+1 for the stocking order soverjas suggested. The wrasse and the angel are going to be your two most aggressive (assuming you aren't going with maroon clowns). Definately the firefish first - and make sure your tank is covered - they are big jumpers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.