Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a quick search before asking, but... Does anyone know anything about fixing scratches for glass aquariums. The catch is the tank is a fully stocked reef tank, and I do not want to drain it. Has anybody heard of this, that can give me some input?? Anything?

·
Registered
426 Posts
it is possible to remove scratches from glass, small swirls and such buff out fairly easily but if you can feel scratch with your fingernail it gets a little tougher becasuse you actually have remove enough material to make it smooth. To do this you will need the tank empty, highly doubt that the buffing compounds are safe for any kind of life let alone a reef. If you decide to try it check with an autobody supply shop to get supplies

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i agree w/ joe. if you can feel it with your fingernail, it will need a great amount of time to remove it. it will also leave you with a distorted area. kind of a carnival effect. and if it has any little loose glass flakes on the scratch, it will embed into the polishing wheel while your using the compund. and when you wipe it off, there will be thousands of fine circular scratches from that one little flake.
don't want to discourage you, just want you to know the possabilities.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glass scratches

Thanks for all the imput. I think I will live with the scratches until the tank is upgraded again.

G

·
if you can drain the tank down below the scratch for a few hours there is a scratch/chip repair kit made for windshields that actualy fills the scratch with acrylic to make it disapear however I dont think this is very advisable in a reef as any little amount of the compound that gets in the water can be very detritmental to your fish and corals

·
Registered
96 Posts
I tried to buff out some scratches in a used glass aquarium I bought using cesium oxide. I saw this on a thread somewhere which included pictures (probably on reefcentral). I also tried glass scratch buffing discs I bought on-line. I found it was nearly impossible to get the scratches out and I gave up after 3 days of trying. You have to go from very course to very fine sanding and it is a pain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts