Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP Flame Angel still has secondary inf.?

My Flame Angel still has the secondary infection. It goes away in one spot only to appear in another. All other fish recovering well in the QT except this one. Using the copper treatment for ich and Melafix for the second week for the secondary infection they got.

I have been reading and apparently I should put carbon in to remove the Melafix so I can dose with Maracyn.

If I put carbon in, won't it remove the copper as well? The tank has had the copper in it for three weeks now.

Any ideas, please? Unsure how to move at this point. Thank you.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Is the flame angel eating good? If the Angel is not eating good try soaking the food with a little garlic to get it started. If the fish is eating good that will help it fight the infection.

How many fish do you have in the qt? If you have too many fish in the qt it could cause stress on the fish which weakens the immune system so they have a harder time fighting off infections.

What does the secondary infection look like? and can you get a pic of it? Is this a bacterial or fungal infection as they are treated differently.

If they have been in qt for more than 4 weeks you can move the healthy fish to the display and treat with a different antibiotic as there are many different causes of infections some may no react to certain medications as others.

Have you been testing the water in the qt? What are your parameters? How long have the fish been in the qt? Any reading of ammonia or nitrite will have either a physical reaction or a stress related reaction from the fish.

Some secondary infections can take 1-2 weeks to get better.
I hope that this helps.
Rich

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Rich. I think my name should be sidetracked. No ammonia or nitrites. Tank is cycled. I took all the other fish out and put them in my 60 gal fowlr. They are doing great. The spots are white, pushing up the scale it's under and they go away and show up in a different spot. I bought some pimafix and it looks like it may be working. Hopefully. It doesn't look like fungus (white fluffy stuff floating on the body anywhere). The fish is eating really well. I think I need to go buy something with sponge in it. It has been eating flake, mysis, and green marine algae. It had access to the sponge in the reef tank (of which it started being a bad fish nipping at my sps and is now going to be staying in the fowlr after it gets healthy). I will keep up with the pimafix and water changes and hopefully he/she gets better soon. I am very appreciative of your response. Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts