Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a flourescent vase spange or have any experience with one in their tank. I just say a photo of one and they look very cool.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you get one be careful. I ordered one online and it was apparently bad upon arrival, ( I was not aware it was) Placed it in my tank because you have to submerge the entire bag so that the sponge does not get air. Within a couple of hours, it wiped out almost my entire tank. Fish, coral etc. With this sponge, it will release a toxin if it starts to die. The vendor did not want to refund my money not to mention repalce the thousands of dollars worth of fish and coral that I lost. I followed the vendor's instructions on taking photos etc, but still had a hard time getting them to refund. It was not until I got American Express involved that I was refunded my money. Although this is not the forum for it, because there is a Vendor Expereince forum, but if you are thinking of ordering from who I think, run for your life.

Good thing you are inquiring first. I did not know about this site at the time and just read up on things online. There is not a lot of info out there about this sponge that says this, but the vendor told me that's what may have happened. Ironically the vendor knew what had happened and still did not want to refund.

·
Registered
288 Posts
BINGO..... RUN!!!!! Do not look back, just RUN. LOL

This is not true for all sponges. This was the first that I heard of. I have red tree sponge, yellow ball sponge, orange fan sponge, some blue sponge in my tank. If your tank is new, sponges may not be the best as they are filter feeders and non-photosynthetic the amount of nutrients they need can throw your system off. I believe Bongo Shrimp has a beautiful photosynthetic sponge for sale that I would snatch up in a heartbeat if I had the space in my tank.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
There are some pretty sweet sponges out there. Bongo Shrimp has an awesome show size piece. I would be all over it, if I had that much to spend. Most of your LFS should be able to get the Tree sponge, Ball Sponge and Knob sponges in.
I have an orange knob sponge and Blue sponge of sorts both purchased at an LFS, Purple vase sponge (picked up from Bongo Shrimp when he fragged it), and several others that have grown naturally in my tank over time.

·
Registered
535 Posts
BINGO..... RUN!!!!! Do not look back, just RUN. LOL

This is not true for all sponges. This was the first that I heard of. I have red tree sponge, yellow ball sponge, orange fan sponge, some blue sponge in my tank. If your tank is new, sponges may not be the best as they are filter feeders and non-photosynthetic the amount of nutrients they need can throw your system off. I believe Bongo Shrimp has a beautiful photosynthetic sponge for sale that I would snatch up in a heartbeat if I had the space in my tank.
Hey when you going to frag. that blue sponge.... ;) I also thought that blue sponges were photosynthetic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts