Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will I shut down my 180 today and transferred my fish to the 125 awaiting my 320. During the transition imy Floweri Tang $250 got Sliced up bad from another tang. It has about 8-10 lacerations all over it almost the length of its 8 inch body i Should I dip it? Other than ascetics it looks fine and is eating. Will the scars be profound when it heals?

Anything I can do so the scars heal up better? This ***** it been a bad winter

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I would not do anything to stess him out unless you see any sign of disease, no moving, no dips, no chems, just lots of observation and lots of small meals with some garlic involved. Any sign of disease and he would be in a hospital tank ASAP. Should have that set up right now if he is that bad, but avoid it if you can as it is a major stressor to catch a fish and treat them in a bare tank. I would run a min 55 gallon if not 75 with low salinity (1.010) and possibly a broad spectrum antibiotic for him to heal if needed. As far as scars... chicks dig scars don't they?

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I had a clown get a nasty cut nearly the half the length of her body. It was pretty nasty and I thought for sure I'd lose her. I didn't treat and just continued feeding like normal. She pulled through and I couldn't see a scar a few weeks later.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Sorry to hear about the tang. I agree with the above, try to let it heal on its own, but be ready to catch it and treat it if there is any sign of a downturn. Wishing you the best of luck for you and your fish.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Above suggestions are all good. I had a wrasse get a very nasty scratch down its side not to long ago but, it was very deep as well. The wrasse made it 5 days, disappeared for 2 then found it dead on the 7 day. However, it was not eating much and only ate when I used a turkey baster to put the food directly in front of it. So, I would say your tang is off to a good start being that it is active and eating. Hope for the best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.