Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have had a fluke problem. My grouper was scratching his face for weeks. Finally was hanging out by the top alot. Treated with Prazipro. Bottle says to disconnect skimmer but online people said leave it on for aeration. Just remove cup. Bottle said it renders medication ineffective. Did not read that until 3 days after. Anyway yesterday he didn't eat. I think it supresses appetite as side effect. Other fish in tank still eating. Hopefully he will be ok.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Unfortunately Prazi Pro has been less affective at treating some flukes, even following directions and multiple treatments.

I’m battling some right now and this strain of flukes are resistant to Prazi, Cooper and hypo. I’m trying 37% solution of Formalin at 1ml/10 gallons once per day for 5-7 days. Extra air and water movement is important when doing Formlin.

Next step is to do fresh water dips 2-3 days apart.

If you can easily catch it do fresh water dips.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not sure. I do know about the second dose for eggs. He was scratching face then later gills. I never saw anything and thought it was microbubbles from skimmer. Then he started trying to be by the too for air and I read flukes are invisible. So I think its just flukes. he is eating. I treated again after only 4 days. I read its supposed to work after 24 hrs and begins to dissipate after 48 hours. Hopefully this will be enough.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately Prazi Pro has been less affective at treating some flukes, even following directions and multiple treatments.

I’m battling some right now and this strain of flukes are resistant to Prazi, Cooper and hypo. I’m trying 37% solution of Formalin at 1ml/10 gallons once per day for 5-7 days. Extra air and water movement is important when doing Formlin.

Next step is to do fresh water dips 2-3 days apart.

If you can easily catch it do fresh water dips.

How do you know it isn't working? I read they will still scratch while the wounds from the flukes heal. This is frustrating. I guess after a few weeks if stull scratching? I have never done FreshwD or FormalinD.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I FW dipped two affected fish. I read the FW dips don't do gill flukes. The I put a coral from affected tank in my 90 and within an hour Saw a fish scratch that wasn't before. Not sure Prazi is gonna work. Need to treat for cyano with chemiclean but it lowers oxygen and the prazi is already doing that. I guess they have some better stuff but you can't treat tank directly with it. Fish improved after dip.
I run a maxspect Gyre. Not sure how good these are. Seems like it stops my power filter from pulling debris out. Also its not stopping cyano. I could blast it higher. I just don't know how much is too much. Will a UV sterlizer or Ozonizer with UV kill flukes?

·
Registered
358 Posts
UV probably won't touch flukes. They are larger organisms than protozoans like marine ich or dinoflagellates like marine velvet.

If no improvement after 24 hrs with praziquantel (which would not be rendered ineffective by the skimmer if the skimmer top collection cup was removed), then consider using formalin. There are strains of flukes now that have developed resistance to praziquantel from people chronically underdosing it, or using it in systems where it didn't need to be, and bacterial populations build up that break it down before it can do it's job.

Formalin treatment needs to be done in a separate tank, and the display would need to sit fallow around 50 days to have a complete double prepatent period fallow time, guaranteeing none survive to reinfect the fish. A formalin bath, using dilyted 37% formalin before being moved into a sterile quarantine should eradicate flukes, and can be repeated 7 days later, sterilizing and resetting up the quarantine while the fish are in the formalin bath. I use bleach and hot water to scrub and sterilize quarantine systems, and Microbacter7 to prevent ammonia spikes or secondary cycling.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UV probably won't touch flukes. They are larger organisms than protozoans like marine ich or dinoflagellates like marine velvet.

If no improvement after 24 hrs with praziquantel (which would not be rendered ineffective by the skimmer if the skimmer top collection cup was removed), then consider using formalin. There are strains of flukes now that have developed resistance to praziquantel from people chronically underdosing it, or using it in systems where it didn't need to be, and bacterial populations build up that break it down before it can do it's job.

Formalin treatment needs to be done in a separate tank, and the display would need to sit fallow around 50 days to have a complete double prepatent period fallow time, guaranteeing none survive to reinfect the fish. A formalin bath, using dilyted 37% formalin before being moved into a sterile quarantine should eradicate flukes, and can be repeated 7 days later, sterilizing and resetting up the quarantine while the fish are in the formalin bath. I use bleach and hot water to scrub and sterilize quarantine systems, and Microbacter7 to prevent ammonia spikes or secondary cycling.

Man I didn't know it was gonna be that hard. I am not sure I can do all of that. Thanks though.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, I freshwater dipped him. Could see flukes in the bucket. So on another forum I found Ruby Reef Hydroplex. So I did a ten minute dip today. Guy had good success but he quarantined after. I should have. But did not. I have a diatom filter and ran as long as I could. To remove flukes from the water column. Added a second Aquaclear 110 to the tank. Put two brand new heaters in. Have a large cleaning crew. The Triggers seem ok. Only bought a ten gallon quarantine. I have PraziPro in there. Shut off skimmer all together. Maybe it will work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts