Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so as stated on my previous post, due to an anthelia outbreak I'm going to move my clowns and livestock to my fluval edge for 6-8 weeks and start over on my 29 biocube.

Questions:
1. What kind of media should I put in the hob stock filter?

2. As far as lighting for an acan a ric and a frogspawn what should I do? Will the par38 LEDs from home depot work for a few weeks?

3. Anything else I can mod or do to help make sure the health of my livestock? I love my clowns be so sad of something happened :/

4. Korilia nano? Add it for flow or is the hob enough?

5. As far as water I plan on taking straight from my biocube for now, that be ok??

Any help would be awesome thanks guys!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Fluval Edge 12g, stock filter with foam out and just some gfo in there (more of source of oxygenating the water than filtering anything) and the stock led lighting with a Ecoxotic par38 bulb, 240gph Koraila nano, 10 or so pounds of live rock.

It's a neat tank with clean edges and unique viewing angles and my daughter's seahorse setup with just a few coral such as acans, xenia, mushrooms, and zoas.

Test your water and you will be fine, I change about 2 gallons a week.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Edge tanks are sweet. If you put the frogspawn directly under the stock lighting it will have enough light, based on our PAR measurements on our 12 g EDGE display tank, as well as the reaction of several corals in this display for the last few months.

In the last couple weeks we've been playing around with adding an Ecoxotic stunner strip to the front which really sends it to a new level.. :)

For filtration GFO works very well in some systems, but for this particular application, we find that using Seachem's Seagel and or Purigen along with the stock sponge is the optimal solution. Seagel is a blend of Matrix Carbon (a very high grade carbon) and Phosguard which is an alternative phosphate remover to GFO. The combination of the two in Seagel helps use up less space in the filter while offering not only the water clarifying and dissolved organic absorbing features of the carbon, but also the algae reducing feature of the Phosguard. We find we can run these medias in a 12 gallon for 1-3 months without changing them and still get great effects. If you decide to run Purigen as well, it is like a super version of the carbon, with the added bonus that you can recharge it dozens of times and continue to use it for a very long time. (There's recharging directions in the box) Another bonus of these media is they are all spherical in shape. This way the water flows around each of the little balls of media as they sit in a uniform pattern and most if not all the media is frequently exposed to the water and therefore used efficiently. Granted we use a lot of GFO in larger systems, but medias like GFO because of their erratic shape tend to compact and channel the water so it only gets moved well through some areas of the media bag, and not to others. As a result, media like GFO is best used in a fluidized reaction chamber to get exposure to all the media.

We use the 240 Korallia as well, along with a 25 - 50w heater depending on the air temperature of the room. Although the added flow is really only needed if the particular corals placed demand it. We were running some GSP, and they needed more flow than the stock filter. We didn't really think there would be enough oxygenation from just the stock filter, but we were pleasantly surprised as we ran the tank with two fish for a couple months with no issues with the stock filter before putting the korallia in to help out the GSP.

Enjoy your EDGE! These area really stunning tanks!

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.