Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the new airline security can anyone think of anyway that I can fly corals home from California to Michigan on a comercial airline?

I go back and fourth every week for work and it kills me that I can't bring anything home. The stores here have such nice stuff for less then I would pay at home.

Any bright ideas?

-confused

·
Registered
477 Posts
greenstarfish03 said:
With the new airline security can anyone think of anyway that I can fly corals home from California to Michigan on a comercial airline?

I go back and fourth every week for work and it kills me that I can't bring anything home. The stores here have such nice stuff for less then I would pay at home.

Any bright ideas?

-confused
Do you use the same company each time? You may want to ask them. They might be able to answer your questions. Is shipping them an option? (I assume that would be expensive)

-Scott

G

·
you could pack them in a box with plenty of packing and check them, when i worked for delta in st. louis, people would check boxes containing fish sometimes. just make sure to mark the boxes of the contents. just be careful, the bag handlers can be quite rough on boxes.

i worked for delta after 9/11 but its been a few years. your best option is to call your airlines and double check their policy.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I sent my dad home to florida from michigan with several coral frags. We bagged them and packed them in a small lunch style cooler and put them in his suitcase to be checked. When he got home the corals were fine and are thriving now. Just pak them up nice and secure!

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
More about "pets"

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1036.shtm

I'm not sure about walking that Dragon Eel through the metal detector though-devil

As far as "carry-on" the problem would be the amount of liquid for a fish... some corals can be packed "damp", so that would be a good option.

A lot would depend on where you are coming from... I'm sure it would be much easier bringing something from LA than Hawaii, not sure...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. I brought home some zoo's a few weeks ago and all went well. I bought a thermos and put the frag in their w/ a couple heat paks and put it in my suitcase. I had a layover in chicago it was close to zero out and I thought I was hosed, but when I got home like 7 hours later the zoo's were fine and opened right away.

:)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I would say in your check in luggage. Heat packs, packing material, and a little luck...Everything should be fine. They cant be tougher than UPS...

I am going to Australia, New Zealand, and French Poly's next year...Tell me I dont want to bring stuff back!

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Sir B said:
In an airosol form that is true,like any thing in a pressurized canister.
They took my water bottle about three weeks ago when I flew. I happened to be traveling with the family, and my new baby brother (who drinks bottles obviously). My stepmom had brought powdered milk to mix with water, and they wouldn't even let her bring an unopened water bottle for the poor kid!!!

I was dumbfounded. What a crock of ****! To make a long story short they gave us a water bottle once on the plane. Good thing the stepmom brought powdered milk, eh?

I would go with checking the corals. I'm headed to SoCal in a about six months for a frag swap (and visit some fam.), and I plan on packing really, really light so I can fill it up with bags of frags!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Why not just ship them? I know it may cost $40? But maybe when you find a few corals then it would be more worth it? I know that just adds to the cost. But I'm sure they have some pretty cool stuff out there wish I could go! :D

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
My Parents spend alot of time in Mexico and it would be uber easy for them to collect lots of goodies :D I've tried to talk them into bringing back some loose live rock but all they every bring home is the dried up dead rock (cause its pretty :rolleyes: ...)

Obviously liverock could be wrapped in moist towels and make the trip really easy, but what about corals, inverts, and fish?

I've personally been down there to see all the cool stuff (I only had a fish only at the time) and caught some really sweet stuff that would be awesome for speacialty tanks etc. but never brought anything home.

I know its a different country so the rules would be stricter, and idea's on how to make this work? My dad comes back and forth alot for work while my mom spends an average of 3+ months a year in Mexico.

We have a serious opportunity to capitalize off of it, if we can figure out how...

Is shipping an option???

BTW, one of the coolest things I caught I had absolutely no Idea what it was, so I took it to a local, and mustered up my best Espanol and asked... what is this? She gave me a distubing look and said I need to leave it alone (I think thats what she said) so I let it go... but it was sweet! Lots of color, legs, etc! I know most likely it was extremely poisonous (especially from the look on her face :D ) but if I could have brought it home, I'm sure it would have been a prize piece in a tank by itself.

BTW, I know it would be pretty stupid and likely illegal to bring home unidentified animals from Mexico, I wouldn't try that. but there is so much that could be legally collected, it's almost not a crime to take it home!

Any ideas on this one?
-BDR

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
stunreefer said:
They took my water bottle about three weeks ago when I flew. I happened to be traveling with the family, and my new baby brother (who drinks bottles obviously). My stepmom had brought powdered milk to mix with water, and they wouldn't even let her bring an unopened water bottle for the poor kid!!!

I was dumbfounded. What a crock of ****! To make a long story short they gave us a water bottle once on the plane. Good thing the stepmom brought powdered milk, eh?

I would go with checking the corals. I'm headed to SoCal in a about six months for a frag swap (and visit some fam.), and I plan on packing really, really light so I can fill it up with bags of frags!
Read here before flying with children...

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
i would do a little research and find out what was ok to bring and what is not, i'm sure their is a lot that you could bring over that is legal and prob. save on shipping cost and get some cool stuff but it's just not worth not knowing and bringing something that is ilegal and possibly getting fined or something of that nature

·
Registered
842 Posts
as exciting as it is to find native species while on vacation, my recommendation is to just enjoy them in the wild and leave them alone. support your local economy and spend a little more to buy locally. The money you spend at your LFS includes recommendations and information on the care of your live stock. The frags that you bought at a great price at the california swap become very expensive if they don't survive. The live rock and corals you found on vacation also become very expensive if fined for breaking the law. Just my own thoughts.

·
Registered
638 Posts
A couple years back I flew no fewer than 60 African Cichlids (incl. some very delicate shippers) from California to Kalamazoo in the dead of winter with not so much as one loss . . . I used some heavy Styrofoam boxes w/heavy-duty dual layer corrugated cardboard outer shells. I packed the boxes with newspaper and taped 60-hours heat packs to the lid and used extra-thick fish bags. I did make sure to punch 5-6 holes in the Styrofoam where I attached the heat packs to let oxygen in.
I checked one box and my wife checked one box along with our suitcases.

It was hilarious when the ticket agent asked what was in the box . . . I said "Tropical fish" and the next question was, "Fresh or frozen?" . . . I was like, "Umm, fresh?" Which received the reply, "Well which is it?" To which I said, "They're fresh because they're still alive." . . . "Oh."

Find a couple of LFS where you're going and call them before you leave to ask if they have any Styrofoam shipping boxes you can have, as well as a few fish bags. Explain your dilemma and more often than not they'll let you have 'em for free. Be sure to pack some packing tape (be sure to check this with your checked luggage and not in your carry-on . . . I can't imagine trying to explain a roll of packing tape to a TSA screener) and bring your own heat packs and you'll be all set to ship some frags with no problems . . . you can even drop a dollar for a newspaper to insulate the fish bags.

Or you could try to bring some bags with your frags onto the plane with you . . . Keep your frags in their bags with their water, dump out the water right before you get to the security check point, run your frag through the scanner, once done, put your shoes back on, run to the nearest shop, buy a couple big bottles of water, run over to one of the food places that has a microwave . . . heat a cup of water . . . whip out your thermometer and your refractometer . . . whip out your little baggie of Reef Crystals, add in some cold water to bring the cup of hot water down to the correct temp . . . start adding salt to get it up to the correct SG, dump the water in with the frag and away you go . . . -cheeky
BTW, that probably wouldn't work . . . but it reminded me of a story of a college chick who was trying to bring her Betta back home with her on a plane. LOL, I've got visions of Elaine walking through a parking garage with a bag of goldfish . . . ;)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'm going to be in the Mayan Riveria in Mexico (30 min. south of Cancun) from March 28th to April 6th and was wondering the same thing...What would I legally be able to bring back? I'm sure they probably have rules about harvesting corals/rock from the wild? But yea what about already collected livestock? I would assume they have some sort of a DNR like we do, and the fine if you broke the law would probably outweigh the risk...but wish I knew where to even start checking into the legality of it all....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts