Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I dont know if this is common knowledge to some but i just recently bought some arcti-pods refrigerated food ( 1st time) it says great for LPS for which i have ( plate, frogspawn and hammers) I decided to squirt some directly on each coral and what i got instead was burned corals..... i am assuming its from some of the acidic ingredients.....

Point of message..... dont put this stuff directly on your coral; instead let is dissociate in the water before-hand and let the corals feeding indirectly by current....

:(

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Don't you think the burn could have been from squirting a refrigerated liquid at the corals?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Aqi pods Food

Well I doubt this is burning your coral. I have started using this food for the last maybe two months, although I do not think the coral respond that well to the food they are fed directly sometimes and I have dropped this food right on top of them, I have not had any of them be burned. I have even let this sit right on top of them for an hour went back and checked them. They seem to let it go. So are you sure it is not undissolved calcium from your salt that is landing on them when you do water changes? Even though it doesnt seem that it would be a problem I have had this happen! Calcium burnes!

saltyspartan said:
Hey everyone,

I dont know if this is common knowledge to some but i just recently bought some arcti-pods refrigerated food ( 1st time) it says great for LPS for which i have ( plate, frogspawn and hammers) I decided to squirt some directly on each coral and what i got instead was burned corals..... i am assuming its from some of the acidic ingredients.....

Point of message..... dont put this stuff directly on your coral; instead let is dissociate in the water before-hand and let the corals feeding indirectly by current....

·
Registered
61 Posts
By the way...

You should be feeding them food through current especailly plate coral, frogspawn. Or you can delute the food with your saltwater and target feed them that way. My plate loves tiny bits of uncooked shimp chopped up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i didnt think about the refrigerated issue when feeding, that could very well be the cause... i do know for sure that it wasnt from undissolved salt.... The "burn" i describe is the lost of tissue and visible skeleton often seen after coral- coral stinger cell fight. the burn is also in the exact location where the food was applied.

oh well. thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
saltyspartan said:
Hey everyone,

I had the same problem and just read about yours by doing a Google search. I had warmed the Arcti-Pods up in a syringe first. I noticed that it causes the salt water to instantly precipitate when squirted into the aquarium which made me suspect a high pH. I tried to measure the pH by filtering the Arcti-Pods and using my pH kit. The pH is way over the top of what I can measure with it. I need to get a larger range pH test kit. Its behaviour in the water though is similar to using Ca(OH)2 or 2N NaOH to kill aiptasia. I've just written to Reef Nutrition for advice.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
i use them all the time and never had a problem, but i put mine in the flow not directly by or on them because it was cold that could have burned the frogspawn

·
Registered
2 Posts
I talked with Reef Nutrition and they have been extremely helpful, straitforward and honest. The problem with the arcti-pods is that they switched to a bicarbonate based product in order to make the pods sink. There was supposed to be a notice that the product is to be mixed with tank water and not applied directly to coral. Unfortunately it got dropped un-noticed. The pH of the Arcti-Pods is about 9.7 because of the bicarbonate. This really isn't a problem anymore than typical buffers that you add. It's just that you don't want to put it directly onto a coral before diluting.

It wasn't an issue with temperature.

There is no problem with using the product evenly dispersed. They have been notifying dealers. They are also switching back to the original forumlation with some small tweaks. It seems that most users found it advantageous to have more of the arcti-pods float for awhile before sinking. This should also reduce any danger of injuring corals that are in low flow areas of your tank.

I am extremely satisfied with Reef Nutrition's service. I am also comfortable with using the current formulation of Arcti-Pods now that I understand how it is meant to be used. I'm sure that I'll be even happier with the updated formulation.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
thanks for checking it out

I just add my artic pods feeding coral and fish at the same time guess that's why I never noticed. great info to know and I will continue to use the product as everybody loves it. thanks again and Reef Nutrition honesty speaks volumes to me as well. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts