Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tossing around different ideas for my next tank. I actually have two I want to set up in the next year. One is a 75 gallon hex which will actually be a seahorse tank. The other is a 90 gallon reef ready tank. Originally I wanted to make the 90 my coral tank (I am currently only running a 24 gallon which will likely become my qt tank). I've been considering still doing that and making it a reef safe wrasse dominated tank. The other possibility is dwarf angels and some of the smaller butterflys (I know there are only like 4 on liveaquaria that are suggested for that size tank). So here are my questions.

1. How many reef safe wrasses could I get away with in a tank like that? I love leopards, fairys and flashers and would love to get a nice mix of those going on. Corris Wrasses are also cool, so a few of those would be sweet too.

2. How many dwarf angels/butterflys could be expected to live in a tank like that together. I expect at max, only two dwarf angels, but I don't know how butterflys would play into the picture.

3. The only other fish I would want other than one of the above options is an eel, snowflake or jeweled. I know anything else is going to be too big. I know the eel will probably not work with the wrasses due to the size of most wrasses, right? Anything else I should be taking into consideration?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they had 6 wrasse in a 72 gallon and a lot of other fish. I think you could easily have 8 wrasse.
Cool, thanks! I'll have to check that out when I get home. Anyone here have experience? I know Preuss had a tank that couldn't have been more than 90 gallons with probably 20 in it. Obviously it was hooked up to a much larger system, but the agression didn't seem to be an issue at all. That could have been because of how many they had in there though, kind of like a heavily stocked cichlid tank where the cichlids themselves act as "dither fish. Mine will be set up to drain into a 100 gallon refugium and may eventually also have a 300 gallon linked to the same system depending on if I can make it work with the space I have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts