Michigan Reefers banner
2K views 41 replies 6 participants last post by  Emprr_angl 
#1 ·
hey guys i was looking at getting a foxface for my 70 gallon reef. ANy thoughts?

IS it safe with ALL corals, SPS, LPS ZOOs? Xenia??

Personal experience? good or bad fish? i knwo they have posinous spines, BUT will this fish do ok in a reef tank? will it EAT my beloved corals? i really like this fish eats alot of algae and is cool to watch, BUT i do not want it to touch my corals?

thanks!

Nick

#8 ·
like neo said, they are usually totally reef safe. They have a good personality like a active tang would. But they need a diet almost identical to a tang. They might outgrow a 70 after awhile but they are not that fast of grower. So probably get a small one. Because they are a active fish and likes good swimming room.

G
#9 ·
Mine is a great fish and almost hand tame now. I can pet the purple tang and the Palani is starting to come to my hand for food to. They are nice fish and the fijian fox faces are exquisite looking compared to the garden variety. He will be a great adition I am sure.

#11 ·
oh yeah one more question for you guys,

Will this fiji foxface be ok in a 70 reef with about 120 pounds of LR, WIth a yellow tang (3.5 inches right now) about 7 inch max, and a solar wrasse (3inches now) will get about 4-5 incehs,
SO will this foxface be ok in the 70 with them?? i mena the foxface will get aout6 inches right? so will this be ok?

thanks

Nick

#13 ·
Well most yellow tangs would be ok, but the occasional one might pick a fight because he is a food competitor, has a similar color, or maybe even similar facial structures. There are other good options all all depends on what type of species you want to put in your tank. You do you want a rabbitfish species the foxface would be the best. But you like tangs, there is a fare amount of sweet species out there.

#14 ·
alright so basically sean you are saying that these 3 MIGHT get along, BUT the yellow tang MIGHT harasse it beasue of the whole food competior/similar colors/similar face?? BUT it might work in my tank??? or no?

thanks!

Nick

P.S. The tang is already in the tank now for about 4 months.

#15 ·
I Have seen large tanks with both a yellow tang and a foxface but their tank was HUGE. And I do mean HUGE.

#16 ·
yeah thats the only thing that is holding me back form getting this fish, is my tank size, i mean i have seen smaller tanks with 2 tangs, BUT they were small and did not look healthy,

I mean i would love to get a fiji foxface after seeing neos i fell in love, BUT i just dont know with my tank size and PLUS i have a yellow tang and solar wrasse.

So anythougths? neo any thoughts?

thanks

Nick

#17 ·
only suggestion is to upgrade soon. if the tang is small and the foxface is small and you do not have a lot of aggresion going on just plan to upgrade soon and move them all into a bigger tank. There are always pretty nice deals on this site.

#19 ·
Well, actually the yellow tang probably wont give him a problem, i forgot about the fact that he has venomous spines, and usually fish know better than to screw w/ something with venomous spines. But the yellow tang will be pissed that hes going to have a food competitor. Because hes probably been the king of the tank for awhile. But he probably wont be able to do anything about it...
At work we have a foxface in with a dogface puffer a trigger and a eel and its been doing fine. Because i guess the fish realize somehow that his spines are venomous.
But as for the solar wrasse i can guarantee 100% there will be no aggression

#20 ·
Yellow Tangs are splendid fish I lie them more so than the Blue hippo tangs but the only trouble is with their agression I have one that gets agressive for no reason. But hey they are splendid. Good luck nick if you plan to upgrade soon I would do it but I would also keep a close eye on them to make sure that there is no agression or other problems that could occur . I am also not 100% sure about the solar wrasse, again good luck if you try to do it keep us informed.

#21 ·
alright i guess i will wait to see if neo has anythoughts on this.

The solar wrasse wont bug him at all i do not think hes kind of laid back, but does swim all over the place. so i will have 3 fish that swim ALOT. so i have no clue.

AND i am only 16 remeber that, so i am off to college in about 2 more years actually like 1.75 years, so my tank will be taken care of by my mom dad and sister.

the only thing i am worried about is my mom not letting me upgrade before i leave for colloge, so that means these fish will have to co-exist for about 3 years and then an upgrade.

so basically neo do you have anythoughts? or recomendations??

thanks!

Nick

#25 ·
i mean why are you guys so un-sure about the solar wrasse?? i dont think it will mess with a venoumus foxface? i am not under standing why you guys think this??

ok heres ALL the fish in my tank now,

1. 2 ocellaris clowns (pair)
2. 1 yellow tang
3. 2 neon gobies (pair)
4. 1 purple firefish
5. 1 solar wrasse

added in that order too.

so let me know thanks!

Nick

P.S. i plan on getting a mandrain goby in about 5-7 months this way my tank will be about 1 year and 5 months old.

SO if you have anyother suggestions on different fish let me know, BUT i do want a foxface IF its possible! thanks

#26 ·
Mandarins are specific eaters as well they need tons of pods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.