• mostly frags some colonies

Votes: 32 44.4%
  • mostly colonies some frags

Votes: 11 15.3%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Isnt the beauty of this hobby watching everything grow....well i think so.

Yeah I get a little anxious sometimes when I get that new frag, and its only 1/2" x 1/2". But everyday it gets a hair bigger, I notice it. And thats my joy.

·
Registered
268 Posts
personally I love frags, one watching it grow and feeling succesful. two getting frags from other reefers my way of saving the coral reefs.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Definitly mostly frags and the rare colony -2 of those to date and very recently. I like getting the frags as it is easier to move around in the tank at first and see where it looks best and seems to like to be best rather than moving a mother colony that will only fit in a spot or two not to mention the cost difference.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
triggerhappy said:
Definitly mostly frags and the rare colony -2 of those to date and very recently. I like getting the frags as it is easier to move around in the tank at first and see where it looks best and seems to like to be best rather than moving a mother colony that will only fit in a spot or two not to mention the cost difference.
Yea, I have a pocilopora colony that is giving me grief right now. It is doin well but I can't find a good place for it anywhere.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I love watching frags grow, I think they're more fun to watch.
It is great to have a few bigger colonies but frags allow more room for variety. And cheaper!

·
Registered
105 Posts
we all know this is a hobby of slow and steady, so frags are it for me. I've bought a few colonies just to watch some of my frags out grow them. I agree theres nothing more exciting than seeing them get bigger.:D

·
Registered
554 Posts
I prefer larger frags or colonies. Small frags just get knocked over and lost in the rocks. Nothing seems to work to make them stick for me.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I like colonies, frags are fun to watch grow but they can be hard to mount and get lost easy. Personally I think any frag that is less than 1.5" is too small to sell or too small to buy. When a reefing friend gives me a frag that is different, then any size is OK with me. I see more and more people selling these "coral chips" and it makes me wonder. I guess if people buy them, then there is a market and that is what drives it. I can remember only a few years ago, at the frags swaps, nothing was smaller than 3". I would imagine, that the death rate of coral fragments that are smaller than 3" is in the 70% range. People used to give away (some still do and I as well) their coral trimmings as almost all coral in our glass cages will at some point need to be trimmed. Sorry if I ranted too much, just as I was browsing through the Lansing frag sell-off, I noticed a lot of over $20 for 1" or less. It kinda of made me sad.

Dan

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
^ I here ya and agree! Thats where the what goes around, comes around comes in, alot of the time hopfully. Ya never know these days.....but thats a whole nother topic.....

I like to buy small frags, as I have a small tank. When it over grows, Time to make someone else feel just like I did when I first saw the peice of coral in my tank when I first added it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My last tank was solely frags with one exception. By the time I took it down after 3 years, I had over 50 small colonies (and a few large ones).

My reasons:

Nicer to see the frag grow into the tank with reguards to color and shape.

Cheaper, you can get more color for a lot less $$

Little to no impact on wild populations

Hardier than whole colonies and less impact on the system if something does die.

IMO slightly less likely to introduce macro pests. I do remove frags from whatever base they are on as well as dipping everything that goes into my tanks. Frags can definitely be a source of pests too but inspection, substrate removal and dipping are pretty good at preventing this.

You arent buying untried varieties. IE captive corals that have done well for others enough to be available in trade are usually hardy, good growers and have nice color. A lot of wild colonies, when they do survive, just turn into a blah green coral.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
done this one before

dajavu I still prefer frags and watching them grow I get a wider selection buying say 4-5 corals maybe more for the same price as 1 big piece and the joy of watching them grow. also if it does die I only lost a small piece and small investment so I can try again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Frags

I feel a tank looks much more natural when frags are allowed to grow into colonies as opposed to large colonies being glued and expoxyed into place. All my corals started as frags, now my clippings/fraggs support new hobbyists.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I personally like frags for the simple fact that you can get more of a variety of things when you buy frags as opposed to buying colonies and only having a few different corals.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
I like the challenge of growing out small frags into a large coral or colony. In fact, I can only think of 3 large corals (what is equivalent to a colony) that I have bought in the past...a beautiful Aussie scolymia, a frogspawn wall hammer, and a chalice. Watching a small coral frag grow out, taking pictures to show the growth and learning what makes them grow better keeps me in the hobby. I look for uncommon coral frags and watch them mature in size, color and shape, not to sell, but to have in my tank to provide me with entertainment, satisfaction and photography opportunities.

If you track the number of reefers that have gone all out to buy large colonies in a short span of time, you will see that roughly 60-80% of their involvement in the hobby is short-lived. They get a fully mature tank in a very short time, then something bad happens, RTN, pests, bad chemistry, species incompatability or other problems so they give up rather easily to find yet another hobby to conquer.

The reefer that takes time to learn about the coral as they grow out from small frags and let their tank mature into a stable living reef typically remain the hobby with few exceptions.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts